Egan Loo (eganloo@anime.net)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:00:15 -0700

At 6:29 PM -0700 99.7.21, -Z- wrote:
>At 00:49 7/21/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>>In a message dated 7/20/99 8:18:31 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
>>cbeilby@earthlink.net writes:
>>> Doesn't anyone remember that the Orguss had it's cockpit in the same
>>> place? Admittedly, it wasn't a core fighter...
>>
>> I do in fact remember this. Wasn't Tomino involved with the original Orgus?
>
>In a word, No!
>
>Orguss was part of the Super Dimensional (Cho Jiku) trilogy produced by
>rival Tatsunoko during the same period that Tomino was creating Ideon,
>Xabungle, Dunbine, L.Gaim, Vifam and Z Gundam for (then Nippon) Sunrise.
>The three series were Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Super Dimensional
>Cavalry Southern Cross and Super Dimensional Century Orguss. They were all
>three originally intended to be included in the Robotech series, but
>Tatsunoko raised the price of Orguss at the last minute and so we got
>Genesis Climber Mospeada instead.

Tatsunoko did not raise the price of Orguss -- in fact, Tatsunoko did not
animate or distribute Orguss at all. The Super Dimension series were
sponsored by Big West. While the other two installments were distributed by
Tatsunoko, the Orguss series was animated and distributed by Tokyo Movie
Shinsha.

Here is the breakdown:

Macross: Created by Studio Nue/Artland, sponsored by Big West, (partially)
animated and distributed by Tatusnoko
Orguss: Created by Studio Nue/Artland, sponsored by Big West, animated and
distributed by Tokyo Movie Shinsha
Southern Cross: Created by Tatsunoko, sponsored by Big West, animated and
distributed by Tatsunoko

[Orguss and Southern Cross were the second and third installments
respectively.]

>The cockpit of the Orguss was located in the chest -- or, more correctly,
>the thorax -- although, like many mech, including Gundam, it had a
>"codpiece" like module between the hip joints.

You better look at the Orguss again. ^^; The cockpit is not in the thorax
or the middle of the chest, but actually in that lower module between the
hip joints. If I remember correctly, it was Orguss mecha designer Kazutaka
Miyatake (Macross, Dunbine) who thought of the between-the-hips position.

Egan Loo
eganloo@anime.net