Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:22:46 +0800

>how many pinoys on the list? (an even dumber question: how many people are
>in the mailing list?)

        yikes.

>anyway...some comments (not slobbering praise, heh) on g-wing (bear with me,
>it's what's occupying my gundam time for now...i'll do a 0083 marathon one
>of these weekends, and i'll have a lot of 0083 questions then :P). i'm in
>the middle of g-wing now and past the "new series euphoria", so i can
>nitpick a little.
>1) 15 year olds...don't they go to school or something? in the series, they
>go to school like it's a party anyone can crash. they come and go, and
>transfer schools. heero even uses duo's name (now that took a lot of
>foresight) in enrollment. they play hooky a lot and it sort of bugs me as
>unrealistic (well, somewhat...). why 15 year olds in the first place? (is
>it the pretty boy craze or something?) and a 16 year old girl? the queen of
>a nation? (then again...gundam strikes me as a mix of medieval and
>futuristic...)

        it's all part of marketing to the younger crowd, specifically female
crowd, too. and an extension of all those five man team GOGOPOWERANGERS
stuff.

>2) all the political factions and maneuverings are confusing me. there's a
>certain appeal to the political side of things, but when there are
>revolutions within revolutions, and factions within factions (not to mention
>personality disorders within personality disorders) it tends to drag. lady
>une gets on my nerves for some reason.

        She's supposed to. she is a latent split personality, and in one aspect
she has the humanity of a rock. She is one truly nasty person. but not
evil, funny enough.

>3) how does zechs (and for that matter, char) get away with wearing a mask?
>(not to mention the long locks of hair :P) i mean, it's a military
>organization! the long hair, i can ignore, but not the mask.
>and, presumably, the false records and histories behind their assumed
>identities? how do they hide those? (is it just to fill the angst and
>dark-past content requirement?)

        He may have been given special concession, or you may be right. being
attached to the aristocratic lot of treize and company may have had
advantages. Or maybe he was just as eccentric as Darth Vader in Star Wars.

>4) are there no ejection seats in gundams? (is it the same for other gundam
>series?) i read in some fan website that it's because the gundam pilots are
>chosen for extreme courage (one might say lunacy...) that ejection seats are
>not necessary. and thus, the option of ejecting might weaken the pilot's
>resolve to win in battle. uhm...i don't yet know what to think of that,
>but it's kinda hard to take. a bit on the illogical side. (no to
>ejections, yes to self-destruct?)

        Uhm, most of the situations gundams are in are not conducive to ejection,
so i guess it's useless...remember macross, when the guy ejected? he got
caught by the enemy.

>5) the army knife of the heavyarms gundam. er...ah...WHAT FOR??? when
>everyone's using beam sabers, beam scythes and beam polearms...the heavyarms
>gets shafted (no pun) with an ugly looking army knife (with which trowa uses
>to unbelievable efficiency. i mean...cutting mobile suits in half with that
>pigsticker?)

        It may have been a heatblade, like the Sandrock's. Still, it's meant to
be a last ditch weapon...after, when do enemies get that close to the
HeavyArms? Of course, it's still an iffy deal, LOL!

>6) what's with the endless waltz deathscythe feet? (what does a
>"hyperjammer" do, btw? i can't read japanese, so the explanations on the
>model kits are no good to me :(

        It's a nice close combat weapon, really. as for the hyperjammer...it may
have something to do with the fact that the DS is quite stealthy.

>7) i have to say...i don't like the wing gundam zero's design. i especially
>dislike the buster rifles. it's power and ammunitions are not very
>consistent throughout the series. how does the buster rifle destroy two
>leos in one shot (i found the scene corny), and yet...the twin buster rifle
>fails to destroy heero's mercurius in one extended blast? it punches the
>mercurius straight through the colony's hull?? and doesn't kill heero? (the
>guy's abnormal, i know...but isn't this stretching it a bit? just for
>cinematic effect, so heero (and later trowa) gets to give another speech?)

        It's the law of anime physics. as long as said mecha has a lead character
in it who's not supposed to die, then it willhappen that way.

>8) tallgeese question: why is it so renowned for it's speed and power, when
>it's speed ability is only 150, and fighting ability only 100? (what are
>the ratings for other gundams of other series?)

        Well, it is tough as nails, and it has that damn cannon. other than that,
it was supposed to be the prototype, go figger...and once again, anime
physics!

>9) i notice a lot of stock footage in g-wing. well, i suppose that's normal
>for any tv series? i'm tired of seeing the heavyarms' combat
>animations...they're the most boring of all. i never get tired of the
>nataku shooting it's arms though. did the virsago also do that?

        Yes it did, and had the nice belly blast, too.

>10) how do gundams get named (not by the characters, but by the producers of
>the show)? any particular trend per series? there's a lot of zodiac in
>g-wing (where'd they come up with "epyon" and "vayeatte"?), and kinda
>"flowery" in 0083.

        that I dunno about.

>11) general gundam question: how far can the boosters on gundams take them?
> can they fly? or just hop around? watching the original rx-78 in the
>movies...i can't tell. (the catapult for launching the gundam was
>nice...but kinda impractical...i think).

        hmmmmm...it depends on environment and design, i think.

>12) i was reading the january archives on the camera unit. i thought the
>main cameras would be the two eyes (for 3d effect), and the backup on the
>v-crest or mohawk structure. but are there no other cameras set in the body
>of the mobile suits? (if the head gets smashed, no more vision?) i'm not
>sure i get the idea of piloting based on cameras. it's still an odd concept
>for me. not even a visible cockpit?

        The backup cameras are probably located in discrete areas. at least,
that's how I figure it.

>13) what are a beam weapon's properties? do they burn on contact? or just
>form a magnetic field? (what i mean is, if you touch a beam weapon to
>armor, will it burn through the armor, or do you have to exert effort to
>slash it, like a normal steel weapon?) richie has explained to me the beam
>saber's origins in star wars...but...i'm still wrestling with the idea of a
>hand-held weapon in a world of mechs, big big big guns. (precognition by
>the force was there to justify wielding lightsabers against guns...but beam
>weapons?)

        uh, well, TOmino WAS a star wars fan...

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos