Stuart Ng (silentaxis@geocities.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:15:04 -0700

>You only need a single false entry in your military records to justify a
>mask: a medical record citing a disfiguring injury that cannot be corrected
>by cosmetic surgery. See also eye patches and gloves (although the loss of
>an eye or fingers would disqualify one from direct combat-related duty) and
>nosepieces. Facial burn scars are the most common rationales for masks and
>half-masks, but I've also seen them allowed for extensive birthmarks. It's
>not common, but it's not a problem, either.

Those make sense...but is Zechs face entirely scarred? I didn't think so.

>Wearing a mask as an affectation, well, when the military officers are also
>aristocrats, anything is possible. "Iron Mask" wore his eponymous iron
>mask as a badge of shame, not really all that different from Vera Ronah
>cutting her hair or someone wearing a black armband while in mourning.
>Different cultures have different rules about what's allowable and what's

>not and the rules by which the Gundam military operates are not those of
>the American military.

Zecks has a background of shame? Military is military. Ok, think of it
this way...if you were the admiral of the entire army (per example, the
admiral doesn't really control the military; government does) and you had a
choice of how to setup your military system...how would do it? Nicely neat
and organized where you can control your troops in anyway possible so that
the military does what it's supposed to; fight efficiently? Or would you
have them scatter about like little children free for whatever they want to
do and call them when they have the free time or isn't killing something a
particular soldier has a vengence upon?

>By the way, short hair for military members is a recent phenomenon,
>originally necessitated by the vagaries of trench warfare in World War I.
>Just look at General George Armstrong Custer or his compatriot General
>Ambrose Everett Burnside (from whom we get "sideburns") to see the lengths
>to which they went prior to that.

Try not to compare it with something else. Think of it this way...would
you want to fight with really short hair in melee combat where hair
wouldn't get in the way? Or fight with really long hair in melee combat
where it could get in the way? Long hair could deter vision, the enemy
could pull it so it would put them to their advantage, etc...I don't know
about you, but if I was in a combat mecha or just in plain personnel melee
combat, I wouldn't want anything adhereing my efficiency to keep myself alive.

>You can't judge the Gundam by what you see in Gundam Wing. Most MS eject
>the entire cockpit as a spherical space pod -- that's how Yazan Goebbels
>gets to Shangri-La in Gundam ZZ -- and the original Gundam uses the Core
>Fighter as an escape vehicle.

Although that may be true, there are a lot things I would want to see
more...like retrieval ships! Ok you eject, but who's going to pick you up
in the vastness of space???? And most of the weapons in Gundam nowadays
and back then (except in 0079), end up destroying the MS completely...let
alone leave any chance for escape pods to launch.

KurenaiJiku