Garrick Lee (dum_dee_doo@hotmail.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:22:32 PHT

>you will get to like the series more just start watching like a feind by
>the way my name is james whats yours

hi james. (my name's garrick :)

how many pinoys on the list? (an even dumber question: how many people are
in the mailing list?)

>btw, where did you get char's counterattack? and where can i get z and
>zz?

i was able to get char's counterattack from comic express (2nd floor
virramall). the gundam movies I, II, III are also available there. and
endless waltz, and g-wing (up till vol. 24, so far).

there is a zz box in discotech virramall (as richie told me)...but i think
it's in original japanese.

anyway...some comments (not slobbering praise, heh) on g-wing (bear with me,
it's what's occupying my gundam time for now...i'll do a 0083 marathon one
of these weekends, and i'll have a lot of 0083 questions then :P). i'm in
the middle of g-wing now and past the "new series euphoria", so i can
nitpick a little.

1) 15 year olds...don't they go to school or something? in the series, they
go to school like it's a party anyone can crash. they come and go, and
transfer schools. heero even uses duo's name (now that took a lot of
foresight) in enrollment. they play hooky a lot and it sort of bugs me as
unrealistic (well, somewhat...). why 15 year olds in the first place? (is
it the pretty boy craze or something?) and a 16 year old girl? the queen of
a nation? (then again...gundam strikes me as a mix of medieval and
futuristic...)

2) all the political factions and maneuverings are confusing me. there's a
certain appeal to the political side of things, but when there are
revolutions within revolutions, and factions within factions (not to mention
personality disorders within personality disorders) it tends to drag. lady
une gets on my nerves for some reason.

3) how does zechs (and for that matter, char) get away with wearing a mask?
(not to mention the long locks of hair :P) i mean, it's a military
organization! the long hair, i can ignore, but not the mask.
and, presumably, the false records and histories behind their assumed
identities? how do they hide those? (is it just to fill the angst and
dark-past content requirement?)

4) are there no ejection seats in gundams? (is it the same for other gundam
series?) i read in some fan website that it's because the gundam pilots are
chosen for extreme courage (one might say lunacy...) that ejection seats are
not necessary. and thus, the option of ejecting might weaken the pilot's
resolve to win in battle. uhm...i don't yet know what to think of that,
but it's kinda hard to take. a bit on the illogical side. (no to
ejections, yes to self-destruct?)

5) the army knife of the heavyarms gundam. er...ah...WHAT FOR??? when
everyone's using beam sabers, beam scythes and beam polearms...the heavyarms
gets shafted (no pun) with an ugly looking army knife (with which trowa uses
to unbelievable efficiency. i mean...cutting mobile suits in half with that
pigsticker?)

6) what's with the endless waltz deathscythe feet? (what does a
"hyperjammer" do, btw? i can't read japanese, so the explanations on the
model kits are no good to me :(

7) i have to say...i don't like the wing gundam zero's design. i especially
dislike the buster rifles. it's power and ammunitions are not very
consistent throughout the series. how does the buster rifle destroy two
leos in one shot (i found the scene corny), and yet...the twin buster rifle
fails to destroy heero's mercurius in one extended blast? it punches the
mercurius straight through the colony's hull?? and doesn't kill heero? (the
guy's abnormal, i know...but isn't this stretching it a bit? just for
cinematic effect, so heero (and later trowa) gets to give another speech?)

8) tallgeese question: why is it so renowned for it's speed and power, when
it's speed ability is only 150, and fighting ability only 100? (what are
the ratings for other gundams of other series?)

9) i notice a lot of stock footage in g-wing. well, i suppose that's normal
for any tv series? i'm tired of seeing the heavyarms' combat
animations...they're the most boring of all. i never get tired of the
nataku shooting it's arms though. did the virsago also do that?

10) how do gundams get named (not by the characters, but by the producers of
the show)? any particular trend per series? there's a lot of zodiac in
g-wing (where'd they come up with "epyon" and "vayeatte"?), and kinda
"flowery" in 0083.

11) general gundam question: how far can the boosters on gundams take them?
  can they fly? or just hop around? watching the original rx-78 in the
movies...i can't tell. (the catapult for launching the gundam was
nice...but kinda impractical...i think).

12) i was reading the january archives on the camera unit. i thought the
main cameras would be the two eyes (for 3d effect), and the backup on the
v-crest or mohawk structure. but are there no other cameras set in the body
of the mobile suits? (if the head gets smashed, no more vision?) i'm not
sure i get the idea of piloting based on cameras. it's still an odd concept
for me. not even a visible cockpit?

13) what are a beam weapon's properties? do they burn on contact? or just
form a magnetic field? (what i mean is, if you touch a beam weapon to
armor, will it burn through the armor, or do you have to exert effort to
slash it, like a normal steel weapon?) richie has explained to me the beam
saber's origins in star wars...but...i'm still wrestling with the idea of a
hand-held weapon in a world of mechs, big big big guns. (precognition by
the force was there to justify wielding lightsabers against guns...but beam
weapons?)

and then there was a comment on how macross would be a silly love story with
bad metaphysical dabbling if stripped of it's mechamorphosing valkyries.
hey, i resent that! :) i actually liked the thing between rick and lisa (in
robotech anyway). i think the jack mckinney novels handled it well. and i
liked the protoculture bit (both robotech and macross versions). the
metaphysics are a bit twisted but...they sort of appeal to me. (minmei,
however, remains to be a pain in the butt, be it macross or robotech). but
this is off topic.

well, that's enough out of this newbie.

my favorite scene in g-wing is still "i will kill you" bit. >:P

-ddd