Chris Beilby (cbeilby@earthlink.net)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:11:09 -0700

HenryHill1@aol.com wrote:

> <<Well, the 17th is my wife's birthday, so I'll be away for the whole
> weekend. I hope they move the convention back to the 4th of July weekend.
> Does anyone know if they've announced the dates for Anime Expo '00 yet?>>
>
> At www.fansview.com it says next year's will be June 30-July3 at the
> Disneyland Hotel.
>
> Josh

I doubt this. I live in the area, and I do know something about the
various sites available. IIRC from my last visit to Anime Expo (two
years ago at the LAX site,) the con required something like 5 large
ballrooms and at least six or seven more conference rooms, and was
terribly overcrowded, with video tracks having a waiting line, The Art
Show being overcrowded, and the dealer's room being seperated into two
parts. The last time I was an attendee at the Anaheim Convention
Center, I believe that there were eight large ballrooms allocated to the
Con in the hotel, plus two even larger ballroom type areas and the small
auditorium in the convention center itself which were set aside for us.
The latter two ballrooms, in the convention center facilities were
specifically designated as the video programming rooms, and the
auditorium was designated for opening and closing ceremonies, as well as
the movie screening room. That was the year that Tenchi Muyo in Love
premiered at the con, and, due to Pioneer bringing it on Video Tape
rather than 35mm movie stock, it had to be moved to Video 1, which was
pretty much full for both the Dubbed screening on Saturday and the
Subbed screening on Sunday. Basically, the Disneyland Hotel does not
have, IMHO, the facilities to support this sort of convention.

In addition, the fact is that the Disneyland Hotel is approximately 25%
more expensive to book than the hotels in the convention center, and the
very strict security policies of the company would put us at their mercy
when it came to things like artwork and programming. In other words,
there would be NO YAOI, NO YURI, and NO HENTAI allowed at the con as a
result. Now, while these do not particularly appeal to me, there is a
good portion of american Anime fandom that it do like this stuff. By
holding it at the Disneyland Hotel, SPJA would be alienating all of
these fans to some extent.

Now, I freely admit that I could be wrong, and it is entirely possible.
However, I don't think that I could enjoy the convention if it were held
at the Disneyland Hotel, simply because it would not be the proper
atmosphere. have you ever been to the Disneyland Hotel? I have. The
place is a resort, not a convention hotel. There are Disneyland Guests
all over the place. this means Families. With Children. Which goes
back to the No Hentai issue I mentioned before. In addition, the prices
there are on a par with the prices within the park itself, which are
definitely aimed at seperating the money from the tourists. In other
words, I doubt it. If, in fact, SPJA has scheduled the Con to take
place at the Disneyland Hotel, particularly over a major holiday
weekend, they are making a serious mistake.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

--
Christopher Beilby

Gundam_Wiz of Gundam MUSH (gundam.jafa.net port 9999)