Tabby (tabby@psn.net)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:59:28 -0700

>> >The short story that features the G-3 and the Z-Gustav at the end of
>> >the manga is probably my favorite work by Kondo. Reminiscent of
>> >Katoki's manga work.
>> >
>> >Mark Kai
>>
>>Reminiscent of Katoki? Was Katoki doing Gundam manga during the Z/ZZ era?
>>He may very well have been, but the only artist I heard about back in the
>>late 80s was Kondo(not including the modelers, of course). While I'm
>>certain others were doing Z/ZZ Gundam manga, I was under the impression
>>that Katoki was "90s" phenomenon.
>>
>>tby
>
>I was just comparing Katoki's realistic manga art in the Sentinal book
>to Kondo's short story.

I'm not sure I've got the same manga then. Kondo has a series of MS designs
in the back, including the G-3(which is shown, evidentally, is an update of
the Elmeth MA). However, the actualy comic contained in the book is most
certainly *not* Kondo's artwork. Kondo's artwork for The Dogs Of War, on
the other hand, definately places him with Katoki for MS artwork with a
realistic *feel* to it. I'm disappointed we haven't seen much Gundam
material from Kondo in recent years.

BTW, Dogs is set just before Char's Counterattack, and while the Feds do
use Jegans, there's also what appear to be GM versions of the Dijeh(which
*may* be called Jaguars, but that's hearsay from Mecha Press). Of course,
there's also Kondo's G-Commander MA, a ponderously huge hybrid of
hover-battleship and Gundam, sent to wipe out a force of Geara Doga who've
just made planetfall. It just gets ugly.

tby