Chaos025@aol.com
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 00:11:51 EDT

In a message dated 7/5/99 4:08:57 PM Mountain Daylight Time, Z@Gundam.Com
writes:

> But what, exactly, do "12 mm scale" and "15 mm scale" mean? Does it mean
> that a man-sized figure (150 to 195 cm, call it 183 cm or 6 feet even)
> stands 12 or 15 mm tall or is it a map scale, wherein 1 meter = 12 or 15
mm?

> For what it's worth, 15 mm times 87 is 130.5 cm (4'3") and 12 mm times 87
> is 104.4 cm (3'5"), neither or which make for a man-sized figure....
>
> -Z-

Okay, doing a little math, and remembering that scale is based on average
human male height in the country that uses that scaling, I can say that HO
scale (1/87) is the Imperial version of 20 mm scale. A very common historical
miniature size over twenty years ago, 20 mm was the height of an average
soldier miniature and therefore the name of that particular scaling unit.
Historical war-gaming predates model railroad building, but only through
military use. The private sector had motorized railroad hobbyist before they
started table top war-gaming as a hobby. Since the companies that catered to
model hobbyist were also supplying militaries with miniatures, it didn't take
very long for historical war-gaming to flourish. Common scales are 1/48,
1/72, 1/87, 1/100, 1/144, 1/200, 1/220, and so on.

SJ