A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away.... (devillin@juno.com)
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:16:15 -0400

> wording is somewhat ambiguous at best. They have since revised the
> agreement, but to the shock horror of most 'Slashdot'-ers, it still
> claims Yahoo have a some sort of ownership of you web pages. I myself
> am not too seriously worried about the situation that it'll give me

They changed some of the wording, but it still states that they have a
permanent
licence to use anything you put on your webpage in whatever manner they
see fit. Sure it's not the blatant "Everything on your webpages belongs
to us"
that the first draft had, but it is still just as bad.

> enough that I have not re-registered at Geocities. Incidentally, all
> web page posted prior to the new Terms of Service are not covered, but
> then,to delete your pages, you have to re-register...catch-22.

Here's the kicker though, even after you agree to re-register long enough
to delete your pages, they won't let you delete them. They are trying to
claim
that they are having server problems that are restricting you from doing
so.
I guess having 300,000 people decide to either delete their accounts or
"Haunt"
them out in 3 days has been rather rough on them.

> > grant, or warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly
granted,
> > Yahoo the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and
fully
> > sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt,
> > publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute,
perform and
> > display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to
incorporate
> > it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or
later
> > developed." - Excerpt, Yahoo's Terms of Service, Section 8
>
> can you rememeber if this was the older or the new Section 8 of the
> Terms of Service?

I think this is the newer. There really isn't any difference between the
old one
and the new one.

--
Linwood Foster,   The_Sentinel@Gundam.Com
3 of 10, Rec.Games.Mecha Moderation Team

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.