A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away.... (devillin@juno.com)
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:49:20 -0400

This is a message I just read on RAAM that you should be aware of.

Newsgroups: rec.arts.anime.models
Subject: Yahoo just seized all license rights to your content on
Geocities. From: Chuck Stewart <zapkitty@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 00:25:14 -0500

I notice that some RAA Models posters have Geocities sites...

Are you aware that when you logged in on July 1 and had to sign
off on the new Yahoo-Geocities User Agreement...

...that buried 8 paragraphs in was a little clause that gives them the
license rights to EVERYTHING on your web site?

EVERYTHING.

Irrecovably and in perpetuity.

"Eternal Vigilance is the price of freedom"

http://www.geocities.com/area51/vault/1725

My site is a chaotic, unfinished jumble and badly needs
updating... but it is mine.

Not the property of Yahoo.
Mine.

Immensely stupid course of action for them...

Geocities members are all cordially invited to a class action
lawsuit for deceptive practices.

--

"Yahoo does not own Content you submit, unless we specifically tell you otherwise before you submit it. You license the Content to Yahoo as set forth below for the purpose of displaying and distributing such Content on our network of properties and for the promotion and marketing of our services. By submitting Content to any Yahoo property, you automatically grant, or warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly granted, Yahoo the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed." - Excerpt, Yahoo's Terms of Service, Section 8

--
Linwood Foster,   The_Sentinel@Gundam.Com
3 of 10, Rec.Games.Mecha Moderation Team

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.