-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 16:48:23 -0700

At 01:03 7/1/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Nightingale <msn04ii_nightingale@yahoo.com> wrote on Wednesday June
>30, 1999 at 7:46am:
>>Later they gathered the data from the stolen Gundam
>>mkII prototypes from the Titans, and produced a series
>>of bona-fine MS. Zeta Gundam is one, as well as Char's
>>Type 100, Methuss, Nemo, etc etc.
>
>Seems kind of silly to me that AE had to use data from mkII to
>produce Zeta Gundam given that they had produced at least 3 gundams
>in 0083. Why no gundams for AEUG at the start of Z? I suppose that
>it's a continuity problem that the producers of 0083 overlooked.

They didn't overlook it, they made it didn't happen. That's what the
business about all records of the Gundam Development Project being erased
on 10 March 0083 is all about. AE had to develop the Z from the Mk.II
because they didn't have any records of the GP series.

>Another thing which I've noticed is that the design of a gundam is
>not exclusive to just one company like AE. It seems like anybody can
>produce a prototype MS with V fin, humanoid face, bean rifle, bean
>sable, colour it red, blue, white and yellow, and slap the label
>"Gundam" on it. Does copyrights exist in U.C.??? Or am I wrong?

How many planes have been called "Phantom" or "Thunderbolt"?

Typically, war machines are presented to the military with only a model
number and are given names by the receiving organization. Space shuttles
are named by NASA after they've been accepted, not by Rockwell et alia
beforehand.

The Gundam wasn't even known as the Gundam by the Zeon, who referred to it
as That White Mobile Suit. (White Base was known as The Wooden Horse,
apparently a reference to the Trojan Horse, based on its Sphinx-like
silhouette.)

The F91 and Victory Gundams were called Gundams because they were white MS
that harked back to the legendary white MS of the One Year War, not because
they had any lineage in common.

-Z-