-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 16:34:58 -0700

At 13:30 7/1/1999 +0800, you wrote:
>At 19:28 6/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Remember, katakana is used to represent every "foreign" language, not just
>>English....
>
> Some of the older katakana, particularly medical terms IIRC, also
>has roots in European languages, particularly French and German. I remember
>once I was looking up a katakana phrase and couldn't make head or tails of
>it, until I realised it's in French..=)

You don't even have to go that far afield. I remember when the La Vie en
Rose first appeared in Z Gundam and *NO ONE* could figure out what it was
supposed to be. "Arabian Rose" was the first fannish transliteration,
which stood for some years before the real phrase was finally given in Romanji.

And, of course, there's always A'Bao'A'Qu....

-Z-