Monica Shin (monica@pipeline.com)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 01:35:57 -0700

At 02:26 AM 6/29/99 -0400, you wrote:

> Gundam Wing single-handedly began whole trend of 'boy-ish looking characters
> doing things that make many people bewildered, including me. Such spin-off
> (if it could be called that) are: Weis Kruz (White Cross, I believe),
> Raideen, and so on. ANd that Gundam Wing MS has some sort of particle
> capacitor that makes shooting of unrealistically powerful beam.... I don;t
> know and it hurts to watch.

Uhh... no. Gundam Wing was only capitalizing (very well, I might add) on the
trend of 5-man (or boy) teams which have been prevalent for far longer than
GWing has been around. While sentai teams and shows like Gatchaman started the
actual trend of 5-people teams (usually had gals, somewhere) I believe it was
anime like Saint Seiya, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers and Shuratou that really
made
shonen series popular with girls mainly because of the guys, but also because
of the action. Let's not forget that Gundam isn't a holy, pure concept by any
means. It's a show designed to make money, be it by selling models and toys or
plushies and pencilboards. GWing just happened to catch the wave and ride
it to
make ridiculous amounts of money, even now.

And, of course, if you're really going to bring in "realism" to Gundam... Wing
Gundam's beam cannon is apparently consistent with the "physics" of that
particluar A.C. timeline. How realistic are newtype powers, and the lovely
ending to Char's Counterattack, looking at it from GWing's universe? Let's not
debate (at least, seriously) the mechanics of non-existant machines and
technologies...

Monica

-----
Monica/Akira-chan/Heero/Hayama/Naga/Kircheis no Miko- Proud TABBE! Member
monica@pipeline.com, mshin02@uclink4.berkeley.edu, knomiko@yahoo.com (alt)
http://www.pipeline.com/~monica/ - main web page ^_^
CLAMP, LoGH, Touch, RKen, Gundam, EVA, DearBoys, RoV, Subby, K-sama
"Tell Annerose-sama that Sieg kept his promise..." - Kircheis-sama