Mark Kuettner (mkuett@hotmail.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:16:21 PDT

>I usually grind off some pastel using sand paper and apply it with an old
>brush that I've cut short. I concentrate on the areas that dirt would
>collect and then go back and dry brush the high spots using a lighter
>version of the models color... raised surfaces should appear lighter in
>color than the models color. For blast marks, just "shape" the pastel mark
>for how you want the blast to appear...very dark in the center and lighter
>to the outside.
>
>Hope this helps....remember less is more as they say.
>
>Jim

It certainly is, Jim, especially when it comes to weathering. By far
the biggest goof to make when trying to weather a kit is OVERDOING it.
Some modellers like to weather their kits so heavy that it gives off
the "across-the-room" effect. This effect is basically weathering
a kit so much with paints and pastels that you can see the weathering
on the kit from across the room. This effect is preferred by some
modellers who have to make their piece stand out in a crowd, usually
modellers who have their kits on display or in model contests.

I'm not criticising these people; it's just when you get close up to
these pieces you can usually see how much they overdid it. I prefer
seeing a less harsh weathering job...more blending and tighter detail-
ing of the weathering. One tool great for detail weathering is a
paper stump. You can buy these in most art stores or make them yourself.
They give you the ability to control weathering pastels on
your kit as if you drew them on; the stump has a pencil-like tip.
Other good tools include cue-tips and kneadable erasers, which give
you increadible range when working with pastels!!

Mark Kai