jim_berg@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:15:37 -0500 (CDT)

On 06/25/99 19:46:44 you wrote:

>How does one use pastels on a finished paint job? (I read somewhere you
>can use it to simulate weathering or other effects.) I assume you just
>grind it up and smear it on, yeah? (Or maybe sprinkle it on and try to
>melt it with a lamp?) I don't know. =) Any suggestions? I want that old
>beat-up look and blast marks would look nice, I think.
>
>Oh, and I also picked up a 1/44 0080 RGM-79G yesterday. (Someone stole
>the Kampfer I was planning on buying along with it - was going to try to
>beef up the GM's weaponry - I can never win.) It's not a bad little kit.
>I especially like how they just molded the different colour tops of the
>hands, instead of leaving it to stupid stickers like the F90. Foot
>movement is weird (they can point toes-down but not move much higher than
>horizontal). I might use some epoxy to try and give it a little chest
>padding; I've always loved how that looks on a labor.
>
>---
>dom (skeizer, yaro, <enter alias here>)
>
>'Well, he says he's going to take back the Assembly Hall with this tank.'
>- Sam on weapons otaku Commander Roy, Gundam F91
>
>-

I usually grind off some pastel using sand paper and apply it with an old brush that I've cut short. I concentrate on the areas that dirt would collect and then go back and dry brush the high spots using a lighter version of the models color... raised surfaces should appear lighter in color than the models color. For blast marks, just "shape" the pastel mark for how you want the blast to appear...very dark in the center and lighter to the outside.

Hope this helps....remember less is more as they say.

Jim