Thu, 24 Jun 1999 08:28:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- Tabby <tabby@psn.net> wrote:

>>The correct name of "Stamen" the MS + "Orchis" the
>>weapon bay combo is:
>>
>>RX-78GP03 Gundam GP-03 "Dendrobium"
>>(from 'Gundam Mechanics II', 12/98)
>
> While we're at it, it's most likely supposed to be
> "Orchid", after the flower, not Orchis, since Stamen

> itself is a floral term. Just a routine problem with

> English-Japanese Japanese-English
translation(anybody
> ever hear of Japenglish?)..

I've checked back with the J-E translation on GUnMech
& MS Encyclopedia, it's in fact "Orchis". Let's not be
too harsh on the 'what it's supposed to be called'
aspect in naming/translating mechas. For example,
RMS-106 "Hizack" from the Z Gundam TV series, we could
have called it "Hizaku", but, after seeing that thing
in action, I, and many fans who've seen it, would
rather save the holy "Z-a-k-u" word for the famous MS
series we grew up with.

===
Colin Liu.