-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:27:06 -0700

At 01:40 6/22/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok, let's start with a easy one: how big is a colony? How far are they
>apart within the same side?

"Open type" colonies are 32 kilometers (20 miles) long and 6.4 kilometers
(four miles) in diameter, with a habitable surface area of 325 square
kilometers (125 square miles) or 32,500 hectares (80,310 acres). Each of
the three "valleys" within the colony is an elongated rectangle 32
kilometers (20 miles) long and 3.2 kilometers (two miles) wide, yielding a
total area of 105 square kilometers (40 square miles). "Closed type"
colonies are the same size but, using the entire inner surface, the
habitable area of these "tin can" colonies is twice that of their open-type
counterparts: 650 square kilometers (250 square miles) or 65,000 hectares
(160,620 acres).

The Sides orbit their respective Lagrange points in a halo orbit with a
diameter of about 10,000 km (6,200 miles). Travel time -- which is
determined by orbital trajectory and change in velocity, not linear
distance -- between two Sides in the same orbit is 14.4 hours (0.6 days).

You'll find a lot of this sort of info at my Gundam High Frontier website:
http://www.halcyon.com/dyar/msgundam/frontier.html

>How big are Soloman, Luna Two, A Bao A Qu?

I'mnot aware of any figures for either Solomon (AKA Konpeitoh) or
A'Bao'A'Qu (AKA Zedan Gate) but they seem to be on par with the totally
artificial colonies.

Luna Two was formerly the asteroid 1804 Juno, the third asteroid ever
discovered (the first two being Ceres and Pallas, respectively). It was
moved into lunar orbit sometime around UC 0045 to provide raw materials for
colony construction. No word on how much of it was used, but it's
currently a rock and iron body with a diameter of 244 km (152 miles) and a
surface gravity of 0.01 g.

>Finally how big is the Fed's Solar Ray system? How big is each mirror?

Terminology quibble: the Zeon had the Solar Ray, which was a converted
colony; the Federation had the Solar System, which was a gigantic mirror array.

The original Solar System consisted of 4,000,000 mirrors, size unspecified.
 Solar System II was composed of only 400,000 mirrors, a tenth as many as
the original, each of which measured 20 by 30 meters (66 by 98 feet).
Solar System II was alleged to have the same energy output as the original,
with advances in computers and optics accounting for the reduction in
mirror count.

Assuming the same number of mirrors in the five rectangular sections, thus:

                        +----------+
                        | |
                        | |
             +----------+----------+----------+
             | | | |
             | | | |
             +----------+----------+----------+
                        | |
                        | |

we can calculate the size of Solar System II. The 400,000 total mirrors
are distributed in rectangles of 80,000 mirrors each. Assuming that the
sections are rectangular because the mirrors that compose them are
rectangular, that gives us five square arrays with about 283 mirrors on
each side -- call it 285 to ease of calculation. Each mirror is 20 meters
high, times 285 is 5.7 km (3.5 miles), times three is 17.1 km (10.5 miles).
 Each mirror is 30 meters wide, times 285 is 8.55 km (5.3 miles), times
three is 25.7 km (15.9 miles).

-Z-