Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:29:11 +0800

>I think it's because they look more purely functional, whereas a lot of IS
>designs try to combine functionality and style despite more often than not
>failing in the latter department...

        Actually a lot of battletech - the old stuff anyway,is from anime...they
changed all that of course, but there is still that grain of it...I still
think, though, that a lot of their mechs could have been better off as tanks.

>I can't imagine most battlemechs being much more agile than let's say....
>AT-ATs or AT-STs from Star Wars. Admittedely, a few very humanoid designs
>such as the Atlas or Hatamoto do look like they could move in a more human
>like fashion.FASA has something new for the Clans called 'Protomechs',
>something in between the size range of Elementals and the big mechs that
>combines the former's agility with the latter's firepower. Most even carry a
>rifle type weapon. Still, a lot of them look pretty lame though... But in
>light of this, I'd say that FASA's view on their full-size battlemechs is
>that they indeed are more akin to 'walking tanks' than 'giant infantry'
>while these protomechs are the more agile, anime-mechaesque machines.

        Hmmmm...I've heard of those...of course, gundams are damn near human in
movement in this regard.

>> 4.  I love the hand-to-hand (really unarmed, except for the use of their
>> arms...LOL) combat in BattleTech...if I could only see it more often in
>> Gundam, not just zapping some enemy mecha a few kilometers away or
>> blowing them away with whatever powerful particle cannon
>Who cares about unarmed mecha fistfights when you've got mecha beam sabre
>fights?:)

        Personally, I like what the Dom did to Kou's poor friend...heatblade
through the abdomen! SLASH!

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter