W. Lee (mute@guvava.com)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:01:40 -0400

James L. Ravelo II wrote:

> >>While we're discussing some BattleTech, I'd just like to state some of
> >>my thoughts:
> >>1.  Some Clan mechs actually loke like something out of a Gundam series,

I think it's because they look more purely functional, whereas a lot of IS
designs try to combine functionality and style despite more often than not
failing in the latter department...

> >>2.  I dunno if the Clan invasion had anything to do with it or FASA's
> >>decision to soften up the looks of their mechs, most mechs (the new ones
>
> >>anyway) look real nicer but some still suck...

> >>3.  While they don't look like it, in the novels, some battlemechs are
> >>real agile like the mecha in Gundam...

I can't imagine most battlemechs being much more agile than let's say....
AT-ATs or AT-STs from Star Wars. Admittedely, a few very humanoid designs
such as the Atlas or Hatamoto do look like they could move in a more human
like fashion.FASA has something new for the Clans called 'Protomechs',
something in between the size range of Elementals and the big mechs that
combines the former's agility with the latter's firepower. Most even carry a
rifle type weapon. Still, a lot of them look pretty lame though... But in
light of this, I'd say that FASA's view on their full-size battlemechs is
that they indeed are more akin to 'walking tanks' than 'giant infantry'
while these protomechs are the more agile, anime-mechaesque machines.

> 4.  I love the hand-to-hand (really unarmed, except for the use of their
> arms...LOL) combat in BattleTech...if I could only see it more often in
> Gundam, not just zapping some enemy mecha a few kilometers away or
> blowing them away with whatever powerful particle cannon

Who cares about unarmed mecha fistfights when you've got mecha beam sabre
fights?:)