Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 15:44:03 +0800

At 13:24 6/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>REcap: Somebody was asking how a mass-produced Kampfer will look like..
>>ergo, assume that the Kampfer is massed produced for Zeon military -- what
>>will they take out?
>Despite it being an Experimental model, I think the MS-18E *was* the
>production model. It's a stripped-down, lean, mean, fighting machine
>version of the YMS-18 prototype alluded to in the instruction manual.

        I know the E is a _limited_ production model. We *were* discussing
what a _mass_ produced model (like the Zaku II) would be like, but I'll say
that's not remotely likely even if the OYW lasted longer.

>giant bazooka, panzer faust, beam saber. We don't actually see the beam
>sabers used in Gundam 0080 and they aren't included with the model -- I
>didn't even know it had them until I saw one deployed on a PVC toy figure
>-- so they'd be the best candidates for any further reduction.

        We do see them in use. Misha pulled it out to hack at the Gundam
just before the Kampfer was shot to bits. It's stored near the knee, in a
pop-out like the 08MST Gundam and GMs.

>It's also worth noting that the YMS-18 Kmpfer Prototype doesn't appear to
>have the Vulcan guns. These would be my second choice for slimming down
>the MS-18E. If the mission is to hit and run, then mle weapons like
>swords and short-range head-mounted guns are just a tempatation to engage
>in time-wasting one-on-one combat, to the detriment of the mission.

        Just how did you manage to get all those accent marks in?? =)

        Anyway, I think the Vulcans are necessary for anti-missile/
distraction duty, and the melee weapons don't really take up much room, and
can be extremely useful to a down-on-its-luck Kampfer, so I'll keep them in.
Remember, all of the Kampfer's other weapons are all ammunition-based, so
running out of rounds in a firefight is all too likely. Expandable or not,
giving the pilot a self-defense weapon still makes sense. Zeon could hardly
afford pilot loss at that stage in the war.