James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 18:26:40 -0700

>>Hey, I love Patlabor!
>
> Me, too! One of the best things I've seen for months -
>especially that scene stealing Captain Goto! (though whenever Ota tries
>to act like a respectable human being, its a close call... ^_^)

The characters are the greatest, Goto is king!

>>It sounds like you are where I am in the series, Tape
>>6 of the english translation.
>
> Bit before that, actually - volume 5. I know a little bit about
>the future from website information seen before I started getting the
>series...
>
>>BTW, I aways thought that patlabor would be
>>the best show to take into the live-action/CG realm. The environment is
>>contemporary, not many sets to build, just use a old warehouse, that's easy
>>enough. You can funnel most of the budget toward getting the mecha right.
>>Plus, the labors aren't so big that you couldn't build a mockup just for
>>static work. (unlike a 20m mobile suit). Bandai should have gone this route
>>instead of G-savior.
>>
> Interesting idea, although personally, I'd like to see Patlabor
>on TV in the Western World. Unless theres anything truly disturbing
>later on in the series, it would seem ideal. With all the attention
>being focused on certain other shows recently (Evangelion? Wassat, then?
>^_-), Patlabor seems to have gotten a little overlooked...

I know, Patlabor is terribly overlooked. I was so disappointed when Viz
canceled the comic translation. It was my favorite comic. Maybe because the
movies are so deep and somber the fans have turned to other more fan
service friendly shows? Maybe it seems dated because the patlabor (AV-98)
was supposed to have be developed last year? I don't know. But at least in
the world of anime, nothing ever truly dies- it just gets picked up in some
revival 10 or years down the road.

(I would kill for a perfect grade 1:20 scale Ingram) (The Helldiver is my
absolute fave though)

-James