James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 03:43:43 -0700

>> IIRC, the AV-98 project was shelved due to cost. Originally, Team 1
>>is also supposed to be equipped with AV-98s, but the excessive cost killed
>>that idea. But further down the series, Team 1 was given an economical
>>version of the AV-98, IIRC AV-98S.. which got its but promptly handed to it
>>by the Griffon.
>
> I wondered why Team 1 kept having to use those Pythons...! I'll
>try not to discuss things further, I've only just gotten into Patlabor
>TV, so I don't want to know too much about the story (I do already know
>about the economy AV-98 and the Griffon, though... )

Hey, I love Patlabor! It sounds like you are where I am in the series, Tape
6 of the english translation. BTW, I aways thought that patlabor would be
the best show to take into the live-action/CG realm. The environment is
contemporary, not many sets to build, just use a old warehouse, that's easy
enough. You can funnel most of the budget toward getting the mecha right.
Plus, the labors aren't so big that you couldn't build a mockup just for
static work. (unlike a 20m mobile suit). Bandai should have gone this route
instead of G-savior.

-James