Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:29:20 +0800

> In a certain sense, that is incorrect. I have had some japanese students
>and frineds who actually made it a point to go out of Japan just to ask
>people exactly what Japanese schools were NOT teaching, like the Rape of
>Nanking, the part of Japan in the WWII, and the Korean Occupation. SOme of
>my Japanese friends say that they do know about these, but there are some
>who don't. I don't know if that is due to the type of school that they go
>to, or if it's a sign of factionalism within their own educational system.

        as an addendum...they did teach it (my mistake), but that they worded it
in such a manner that they did not mention the atrocities that they
committed in these events...even going to the point of renaming the event
ot slightly less horrifying terms -- like the Invasion or Pillaging of
Nanking, and all that...

> To give you an idea, a young friend of mine was horrified to find out
>about the atrocities that the Japanese military committed here in the
>Philippines in WWII. All he had heard about it he said, was that some
>Japanese soldiers had aberrant behavior here in the Philippines. He did
>not hear about the "Bataan Death March" nor did he know about the comnfort
>women, or the destruction of certain historic documents.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919