Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:16:50 +0800

>>> I came across an interesting theory about why these characters
>>> are so popular in Japan the other day... I'm not exactly sure how to put
>>> this politely, lets just say that at certain times in Japanese history,
>>> samurai were not quite as, er, manly, as legend would have us believe...
>>> ^_^
>>Or, of course, the idea of male homosexual activity was not considered
>>un-manly. Many warrior cultures encourage such activity as a way of forging
>>a stronger bond between potential soldier-mates. It just wasn't weird to
>>them, is all...
> First an apology - manly was the not quite the word I was
>looking for, I just couldn't think of an alternative that meant more
>what was I trying to get at.
> Recently, I've heard some things about the ancient Greeks
>recently that raised an eyebrow, saw an Indian temple in a documentary
>that the Church of England would definitely not approve, and saw a
>programme about brothels - ancient Roman ones. They certainly didn't
>teach me any of that in history. ^_^

        As a Teacher, that comes as no surprise. What is taught in school is
actually very heavily filtered, specially in cases like homosexuality in
ancient times, due to that fact that being a homosexual is "detrimental" to
most societies.
        The greco-roman culture allowed relationships between young boys and older
men, as a form of warding and also that it would teach the boy about
sensuality...and they did allow their legions to have gay couples amongst
them, and there is a story of an all-gay-couple legion. the idea is that
as acouples they tend to work better as fighting units, also that if one
loses a lover, one goes berserk in battle...more dangerous, either way.
        As for the Indian Temple...well, considerng that their culture is so
sensual and erotic in some parts, it's no surprise, really
.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter