Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 02:11:10 +0800

>(Kampfer)
>> Funny, I had gotten the idea that it was more for being a spearhead for
>>advancing forces...with its speed and loads of armament.
>You are right on the money. Kampfer is developed specifically for
blitzkrieg and >heavy attack.

        Hmmm...in that case, if it were really designed for that, If I wnated to
improve its performance without making it too expensive, I would have given
it something other than shotguns...perhaps a beam rifle like the one
Gelgoog J has.

>> (weapons) About five of them, while costing quite a lot, could have
inflicted major damage, specially if they were to catch the enemy unaware.
>With the exception of shotguns, all the weapons (the bazookas & the panzer
>fausts) r use commonly one or another by Rick Dom IIs, Gelgoogs, & Zakus
so >costs should be within the Zeon's expectations. As for the Chain-Mines,
i suspect it is used by Zeon MSs (epsecially by experienced pilots) before
Kampfer was
>developed but not as common & cost-effective as the 'Cracker' grenades. &
since the shotguns r the scale-up version of human firearms (w/ alternations &
>improvements of course), the cost of Kampfer is mostly the R&D cost for
the MS >itself.

        Yes, that's true, the bazookas and panzer fausts are used by Zakus and
Doms, so no problem there...The chain mine is probably the only weird one,
but what I would have given for that to have been replaced by a long hand
weapon like a beam lance or poleaxe...that, with the Kampfer's speed would
have been deadly in close combat...the NT1 would have had its arms sliced off.

>> Well, the costs could be kept down simplifying some of the systems,
>The cost was already lowered when we saw Kampfer using just shell-firing
>>firearms. Remember its only beam weapons are a pair of beam sabres.
>> or perhaps reshaping armor plates on certain parts so production costs
will go >>down...little things here and there can add up. And there would
be just a
>> little drop-off in performance, ideally.
>The trade-off for high-mobility, high power-output & heavy weapon capacity
for >Kampfer its weak armor, as it demonstrates in 0080 OVA. & since none
of Zeon
>mechas has Luna Titanium as their armors, the safety of pilots was
dependent on >pilot's skill to dodge bullets & beams!

        Once again, it is true that the armor was weak, but they could have used
armor angling to make it just a leeeeetle bit more survivable...much like
the angle of tank plates help it deflect some attacks as well as give a
longer cross section for the projectile to go through. It's either that,
or it could have ditched all those weapons for just a good beam
rifle/projectile rifle and a good beam weapon...it would have been more
effective, specially if the bazooka hooks at the back had been replaced
with more boosters...ah well, it's all conjecture now...

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919