Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:44:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 2, 4:13pm, Lim Jyue wasted bandwidth discussing:
> Subject: Re: [gundam] Most Powerful Gundam
> At 16:52 6/1/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >Wait, why *can't* you compare universes? They are all based on the same
>
> It's like taking a P-51 and a F-14 and comparing which is more
> powerful. Sure, the F-14 is more powerful, but in which context? The P-51
> was a great fighter in WW2, but not now when better technology is available.

Well, ya, that's a given. But they're still comparable. And both based
on the same roots (physical universe, strategic roles, etc.) even if the
obvious "Come on, who would put a P-51 up against an F-14?" comment must
be included. My question remains - why can't you compare, given the bulk
of both universes being the same (Earth-based, humans, etc.)? You can't
really compare, say, the "Lord of the Rings" universe with the "2001"
universe since one includes magic and the other does not. Not easily,
anyway. But Macross and Gundam universes, or Evangelion and Yamato
universes, are pretty similar. Even if there are no Minovsky particles
in other universes the creators of Gundam described their effects well
enough to compare them to new "particles" or energy sources/effects in
other universes. And metal alloys are metal alloys, so their performance
figures are pretty comparable (excluding hero ships being somehow more
impervious than other ships with the same armor, etc.).

It may be a waste of time to compare them since they will never cross but
it's interesting to think about a strike team of GMs and Gundams going
against a squadron of Valkeries with Destroid support. At least to me it
is. And one could say that a single Gundam could take out a single
Valkerie based on stats of both ships. So, what idiot Valkerie commander
would allow them to go one on one? He could deploy enough of them and
the Destroids to even out the odds, etc. I mean, don't Gundams usually
wipe the floor with dozens of lesser mobile suits anyway? Would be fun
to watch.

Alfred.

--
"They exit quickly.  The ship explodes, which stops all the droids and
 just makes everything great, because it's always enjoyable when a

- Rod Hilton, on "Phantom Menace" shortcomings