reika (reika@clear.net.nz)
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 00:19:36 +1200

Raitenshi Veilchen wrote:

> What exactly is a Newtype? How would you define it?

Whilst othern have come with a more politically correct definition for a
Newtype, allow me to take a more cynical approach. Although previous
answers are also generally correct (I say generally because as we know
there is no concrete definition for a Newtype), there is one thing which
has been omitted: Newtypes typically exhibit some sort relationship
problems

Clear example are Amuro, Quess, Judo and Camille who was always
rebellious. Hamaan and Char were a manipulative, and it has been
questionable was to whether Char was a paedophile. Rosamia had multiple
personalities (albiet by artificial means) and Scirocco and were just
plain scary.

However not all Newtypeas are like this. I felt Seabook Arno was
okay...and cetianly Lalah Sun, Mirai and Four Murasame had more pleasant
personalities.

I think it was Tomino's intention to make Newtypes not glamourous, and
they have severe personality faults which IMHO, far outweigh their gifts.
  Personally I say screw the Newtypes.

hmmm, I wonder if anyone has written a thesis on Tomino's works and
literature, it might shed some light on the Newtype thing.

--
    all opinions expressed herein are my own