Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Sun, 30 May 1999 06:20:20 +0800

>>So you're actually saying that having super powers for mecha in a show
>>which was actually meant for realistic mecha combat is good? Gundam is
>>OBVIOUSLY made back when mecha with super powers dominated Japan's air
>>waves. It was made to show to the Japanese audience that there is more to
>>mecha than just super power wielding robots. And since Gundam was designed
>>to be a more realistic rendition of mecha combat, I do not agree with what
>>the franchise owners have done with G Gundam. Gundam is supposed to be set
>>aside from "I've got a big gun/sword" stereotype, and it's supposed to be
>>about politics and war...which in turn is politics. G Gundam is about a
>>group of mecha that have been called Gundam to fight in a tournament to
>>decide which faction controls the solar system for the next how many years?
>> Also, Gundam is supposed to be a prototype mecha for the production of
>>mass production MS'...Now Gundam is just an overly powerful robot with big
>>guns.
>Oh yeah? Tell me, who in G Gundam has a "big gun/sword" to begin
>with? If you ask me, it's actually a rather intersting variation
>to the word "Gundam".

        Isn't that then quite a reversal in itself? Nowadays, a lot of the Mecha
stuff is based on what gundam so isn't it in keeping with gundam's
tradition of breaking tradition to come out nowadays with a throwback to
the Super Robot theme, which would be the opposite of a lot of the shows
now? I'd say that G gundam is keeping in tradition with what gundam
is...and even if it isn't, we have to begrudgingly admit that it is gundam
because Bandai says so.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter