BlazeEagle@aol.com
Wed, 26 May 1999 16:22:47 EDT

It contains a SPOILER at the bottom. I don't like spoilers, but had to use
one to make a point. I apoligze for the spoiler.

In a message dated 5/26/1999 1:17:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Alfred.Urrutia@disney.com writes:

> Since no one else really wants to end this after all...
>
> The questions I've been asking are not because I'm anal or I expect a
> perfect
> movie or I hate Lucas or anything else. I'm irritated with many aspects of
> this new movie *only* because it fell short of the other three. That's all.
> Get it? To those who say that someone who notices the failings is anal I
> ask, again, would you love the movie *as a movie* as much if it were not in
> the Star Wars universe? Answer honestly. And remember the lashings you
> gave "The Matrix" for it's very minor faults before you answer.

That's a totally unfair question. If TPM wasn't Star Wars, it would be a
totally different movie with totally different plots and story. That question
doesn't even count.

> Finally, I'll ask some questions based on the "Trade Federation were pretty
> moronic though" idea. Think Gundam for a minute (a show that also caters
> to kids and selling toys). If those guys are really that moronic -
>
> 1) At what point do they become intimidating with an army that shitty?
> Would that ever have worked in a Gundam series? I mean, just wipe out those
> crappy droids and they can't enforce their will on anybody. If the Gungans
> can fight them to an almost draw, who else in that universe could possibly
> *lose* to them?

They didn't wipe out the droids, the control ship blew up. Again, its unfair
to compare Gundam to Star Wars, that's like comparing cars to spaceships. The
Gungans are only a diviserion, they had no intentions of a dug in, long term
battle.

> 2) If they're an unknown force (i.e. no one's ever seen the droids in
> action yet) then why *already* fear them? That Federation hasn't proven
> itself yet. If they're a known force (moronic) then how does any other
> army respect them since they're known to be moronic?
>
> 3) Would you respect an army *that* inept in Gundam, another show geared
> towards kids? Would you cut it as much slack because it was in the Gundam
> universe, one of your favorite subjects? I've read more than enough email
> about the stupidity of certain *weapons* used by various mobile suits.
> But that's not anal, of course not.

Its okay to talk about that stuff in Gundam on this ML. Its okay to do the
same thing about SW, but, do it in an SW ML. I was going to stay out of this
discussion, but I had to finally say something now and in my earlier posts.
Its okay to talk about lousy weapons and tactics, but it doesn't have to turn
into an every minor flaw hunt.

> Can anyone else separate their adoration for the Star Wars series and just
> look at it as a sci-fi movie? That's all I'm really asking here. There's
> much of this movie I loved (whoever said it's got the greatest sword fight
> in history made an understatement) but as a movie it was soft. Jesus, I
> can't *wait* to see what you all think of the first live-action Gundam
movie
> that shows up. If Roger Corman makes it you'll still love it.

ISo what do you want, a super gritty Star Wars movie thats only for adults
and teenagers? Is that what you mean by TPM being "soft'? I don't view Qui
Gon Jinn getting stabbed by Darth Maul as "soft" at all.

Aaron