Tue, 25 May 1999 21:15:32 +0100

In message <815910637FD7D211A2B100805F9FD4291F41@daffy.warnerbros.com>,
Su, Rodrick <rsu@tigana.com> writes

>I have some question regarding Zeon military strategy in the first week of
>OYW. On Jan 3 UC 0079, Zeon Space Attack Force attacks Federation military
>position in both Side 1,2,4 with nuclear weapons and pump poison gases into
>some of the colony cylinders. Of which, I supposed that Side 4 bears the
>largest amount of damage from the nuclear strike.
>
>My question is this: why the poison gas attack? Nuclear weapon I can
>understand, it's use specifically to knock out Federation fleet and military
>installation at or near the Sides.

(snip)

        I always assumed that it was because they wanted living space -
poison gas doesn't destroy industrial facilities and living quarters
(though it does also kill the workers needed to run those facilities...
) It also makes it very easy to capture territory without having to
worry about keeping a potentially hostile population under guard. Am I
mistaken in thinking that references to over-population are made in some
parts of the Gundam saga, or am I imagining things? (I know the books
make reference to a population shortage, which doesn't seem to fit with
that impression... )

Everyones ones a noble mind; | |
Believing in a sign of Zeta, | |
Beyond the hard times from now! | |