Mon, 24 May 1999 13:58:40 -0700 (PDT)

On May 24, 12:36am, MS06ZAK@aol.com wasted bandwidth discussing:
> Subject: Re: [gundam] New Turn A episode Summary
> In a message dated 5/23/99 9:00:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
> BlazeEagle@aol.com writes:
>
> << I just got back from TPM and it was a great Movie! Whoever doesn't like it
> needs mental help. Its a awesome movie and very eye popping, not to mention
> great story.
>
> Aaron
> - >>
> I was the one who originally bashed it a little and I must admit I was
> totally wrong. IT is Awesome!!! but you gotta see it at least twice.
>
> Jason

It has taken "Return of the Jedi"'s place as weakest movie of the series.

SPOILERS

The movie suffered greatly by being overtly geared towards kids. No one
on this list, no one over 12 years old can tell me he liked Jar Jar's
obvious, worthless dialog. That is, in those rare moments when you could
understand what the hell he was saying. Anakin's child friends where, as
a group, the worst actors and also totally useless to the movie. Too much
of it was only there for children. This is counter to the other three
movies. I'll tell you what I loved and hated about "Phantom Menace".

Loved

1) the saber battles. Should have been one more with either just the two
knights and somebody else or maybe Maul and some other Jedi or something
but that was *thee* highpoint of the whole movie for me. I will see it
again strictly for that.

2) the cg. The planets were beautiful, the battle droid landing craft in
the jungle shots, the comps, the sea creatures, they were all amazing. I
loved the sleek ships, too, the designs of the structures, all of it.

3) the pod race. It was a little long but the idea was cool, I liked the
different racers. The landscape was beautiful, too.

4) the design of the underwater city. That was a cool concept that was not
used well at all but still was new and different.

5) watching true Jedis at work. No fear, no panic, they were young and
agile. I thought Jinn's burning through those armored doors with his light
saber was great. I loved how fast they could run and how they could jump
high and shove things away effortlessly.

6) most of the actors. McGregor was great, Neeson was the best true actor
in the whole bunch, Portman was good, etc. The kid was ok so long as he
wasn't in a cockpit. Then he turned into a comic book character telling us
what he was about to do.

7) Darth Maul. That fucker was *on*, all the time. I liked him as much
as when I first saw Vader.

8) Natalie Portman. Wow! All this talk about Catherine Zeta-Jones in the
entertainment media, they should be staring at Portman instead. Jones has
got nothing on her.

Hated

1) Jar Jar Binks. His animation, his face, that irritating voice, his dumb
down obvious dialog, everything. Anybody that clumsy would have died by now,
just out of pure random bad luck. He was also useless. He provided nothing.

2) the two-headed race announcer. One thing that the first three movies
had was a feeling that they happened somewhere else, another galaxy and
another time. With lines like "In any universe, that's gotta hurt," I
was back on Earth, I didn't feel like I was watching a story placed anywhere
other than Earth. And his physical design sucked ass.

3) the idiotic Braveheart decoy battle. That was the most strategically
worthless battle possible. What army would employ Napoleonic tactics when
they have tanks, energy weapons, ships, etc? I was hoping, so hoping, for
an intelligent fight. A fight underwater. The water aliens should have
drawn the robot army down where they'd have the advantage. Water is their
element, they have submarine pods, there'd be plenty of opportunities to
use those massive sea creatures as traps, etc. And it would have still
served the plot. Better, by far, than what we got. Episodes 4, 5 and 6
did not have tactically idiotic fights. And even if the battle droids
are programmed to fight like that, what where those aliens doing in an
open field when they had jungles and oceans to provide cover?

4) the supposed "battle" droids. Cute, yes. Intimidating, no. I liked
the rolling transforming droids but the ones with the cartoony faces and
the "roger roger" kiddy dialog would have had their asses handed to them
by any 20th century Earth army, and that's without energy weapons. Jesus,
why not just hand C3P0 a weapon?

Episodes 2 and 3 better really make up for this kiddy crap. All in all I
liked the movie but this is the first time since the Ewoks and the Sy
Snoodles band that I have really noticed how stupid certain parts of the
series are. Thank god for Darth Maul.

Alfred.

--
"Besides, you'd have to have 20 different encryptions for 'dick' or
 they'd crack it in a day."

- Shannan, on encryption difficulties