Mon, 24 May 1999 00:04:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Y. Choe" <choey@usa.net> wrote:

> Not to mention the most of the VCDs are pirated
> stuff. Most likely, VCDs
> you obtain are from China/Taiwan with Chinese
> subtitles/dubs. Most are
> fairly illegal, thus the difference in price. Also,
> there is no accounting
> the visual and audio qualities, though I hear most
> are just fine.

In Hong Kong, the 0079 6-hr movies, Char's
Counterattack, & Gundam F91 have legal VCD release.
0079 movies are released as 2 different 9-vcd boxset,
one in original Japanese dialogues w/ Chinese
subtitles while the other is translated into
Cantonese. CCA & F91 are available as 2-vcd set, again
available in either Japanese or Cantonese version. The
qualities of pictures & translations, since it's
official release licensed from Sun Rise Japan, is
guaranteed.

The 0079 TV series is available as either an
unofficial 16-vcd boxpack (each gatefold pack contains
8 vcds & hold in a large file-like box to complete the
set) the picture quality is excellent but the
Japanese-to-Chinese translation, especially the names
& nomenclatures, is a little inconsistant towards the
end of the series. Overall this is a must for all 0079
fans who wants to see the show in full-43 episode
glory. Highly recommended. The Gundam Wing TV series
is also available as legal separate VCD w/
translations at a very reasonable price (2
episodes/VCD).

As for the rest (Z, ZZ, 0080, 0083, the 08th MS Team,
08ms team: "Miller's Report", V Gundam, Endless Waltz,
G-Gundam, etc) they r available as pirates imported
from Taiwan. While the picture quality in most case is
very high, the translation is sloppy (0083) &
sometimes downright awful (0080), to the point that
sometimes you have to shop around in order to find the
one w/ the best translations (e.g. episode #11 of 08th
MS Team, "The Vibrating Mountain (part 2)" there are 3
different version of translations!!). But we have no
choice 'cos VCD is the only format to watch any Gundam
series in HK. Overall, i'm satisfied.

===
Colin Liu.