James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Sun, 23 May 1999 03:33:28 -0700

>Here's my own personal assessment of the music CDs by series:
>
>- Original TV series/movie trilogy:
>
> Go with the OST for the 2nd movie. Stay away from the Symphonic Poem.
>
>- Zeta Gundam:
>
> 3 OSTs, I recommend the first two. The Symphonic Zeta Gundam is a
> must-have.

I have the first zeta ost. Which one has that jazzy music from the first
episode. Thats what I want.

>- ZZ Gundam:
>
> Not recommended unless you've seen the show and liked the music.
>
>- 0080:
>
> Only 2 "Sound Sketch" CDs. First one is stronger than the 2nd one.
>
>- CCA:
>
> Only 1 CD. Very good, recommended.
>
>- 0083:
>
> There's a 2-CD box (which is released for the movie edition IIRC) but
> there are also 2 OST CDs. If you like 0083 then you should get all 4.
> There are also 2 "radio drama" CDs, which you don't need unless you
> understand Japanese.
>
>- F-91:
>
> The OST is good, but the cues used in the film have been rearranged
> into six symphonic suites, the studio recorded version appears on
> the F91 Symphonic Poem, and the live version appears on the Gundam
> Concert Live Special, which also includes a prologue of medley from
> previous UC Gundam shows. All 3 are recommended, although the latter
> 2 are almost identical but for the live prologue.
>
>- Victory Gundam:
>
> 3 OSTs, I liked the first one but 2 & 3 are a bit unbalanced. There's
> also a V Gundam Symphonic CD but I haven't had any luck finding it.
> If you haven't seen the show, these are probably not a good starting
> place for CCs.
>
>- G Gundam:
>
> AVOID AT ALL COSTS unless you are a fan of Japanese music for
> the elders!!!

What do you mean by that? I love the G-Gundam cds. There are 5 of them,
very melodramatic. I think number 4 might be the best of the bunch.

>- Wing Gundam:
>
> 4 OST CDs (sick!), only the first one was cool. By the 4th one it
> became obvious they were just milking fanboys (and girls, of course)
> for all their worth, since they got the voice actors to each
> contribute a pop song instead of having a collection of music from
> the show itself...
>
>- X:
>
> Personally I think the music is very decent across the 3 OST CDs,
> but your mileage may vary.
>
>- Endless Waltz:
>
> 1 CD. Nothing to write home about.
>
>- 08th MS Team:
>
> 2 "Reports" CDs, 1 symphonic CD (the most boring Gundam music I've
> heard so far), probably with 1 more "Report" CD to come.

The symphonic CD is very much a classical music CD. If you like classical
music, I recommend it. It's not boring, its just an aquired taste.

>- 20th Anniv. Special Symphonic Concert:
>
> 2 CDs and a videotape. The orchestra's instrument make-up did not
> sound as good as the Zeta of F91's setup, and the playing was less
> inspired, too. But it's a good place to sample a little bit of
> Gundam music from each series.
>
>- Reverberation in Gundam:
>
> A collection of image songs and pop songs from Gundam Movie II & III.
> Not really representative of any series, consider it more of a
> tribute to the original series/trilogy.
>
>- Psychegundam/Four's Counterattack:
>
> A must for fans of dance/techno/house music. Songs from Zeta, ZZ,
> and the original series radically rearranged in groovy techno style
> yet sounding sickly like the original version. :)
>
>Eddie

Hey, thanks for the informative post. I'll have to track down a CCA cd.

-James