Y. Choe (choey@usa.net)
Fri, 21 May 1999 12:32:34 -0700

> > Bandai has produced many popular character-based products,
> > such as Power
> > Ranger, Gundam, and Pocket Monsters. Is this the future of
> > your business?
> >
> > We want to sell such products for a long time. In April, we
> > began to sell new products based on the Dango Sankyodai (Three
> > Dumpling Brothers). Actually, it is very hard for us to keep
> > up with children's trends, as they tire of products quickly.
> > Thus, I think it is very important for the next century to
> > promote our popular characters--especially Gundam.
> >

> Note especially this section, Probe. Remember how you are yelling and
> screaming about how Gundam is the most consistent cash cow for
> Bandai, well,
> the new president of Bandai apparently share that sentiment.

Giant Robots eh? I guess the giant robots dueling each other will always be
part of boys fantasy for years and years to come. Or is it the Cowboys and
Indians (or should I say Native Americans?) game except it's with Giant
Robots toting nuclear bazookas and tommy guns, beam rifles, and beam sabres?

The more and more I think about it, Bandai should've jumped into US when
Transformers were huge. I remember one of the human characters looking
awfully like Amuro, and let's face it, Optimus is our favorite RX-78 without
the V fin and a clunkier body. With Transformer saga / mythos still
popular, it's somewhat surprising that Bandai didn't jump in with Gundam at
that time. Hindsight is always 20/20, or slighty crooked in the eyes of
fanboys like myself.

Y. Choe