Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 19 May 1999 17:43:28 -0700 (MST)

> But I am not talking about models, I am talking about satisfying fans,
> with whatever (models for Japs, action toys for Yanks, and stickers for
> everyone) that sells. As I said, from a purely money making and public
> relation's point of view, how do they compare?

  It's hard to say, since very few of us are actually IN Japan now to
watch Gundam's anniversary, and it's also not _quite_ fair, since there is
NO big "Gundam: The Renewal" movie or "Gundam Side Story Prequel: The
Phantom Gundam MS" coming out to stir the flames. That being said, it
seems to me that Bandai really dropped the ball on the Big-Bang-Blowout...
there's just a few more recycled MG kits coming out (Big deal), a
"Revival" line that appears to be as bland as the original series, a TV
series that's not particularly well liked, etc... I'd say Lucas has Gundam
creamed pretty good.

  A matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if the hype for
"Phantom Menace" in Japan has already far overshadowed any Gundam Hype.

                                                                -Probe