BlazeEagle@aol.com
Wed, 19 May 1999 20:10:08 EDT

In a message dated 5/19/1999 7:54:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chinc@sten.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca writes:

> > and detail lacking. The Zaku 1 should be in this new renewal line, not a
MG.

> No, the thinking behind Zak1 is not "what kind of treatment does Zak1
> deserve?", it's "how can we repackage the MG Zaku kit?"
>
> > Heck, I wouldn't mind more GM MG kits. It looks like the MG line is
going
> > turn into pricey standrad HG kits, instead of true MG kits.
>
> It should be safe to say that HG and MG lines are not competing against
> each other. The gaps in size, quality, price etc should mean that each
> targets a different consumer group. The success of one line should not
> encroach on the sales of the other. However, the fate of MG Gouf, Type
> 100, Bigzam etc is critically dependent on the success of MG Dom.

I wasn't saying that HG and MG was competing aganist each other, I meant that
the MG kits may turn into pricey HG kits, meaning they'll pump out MG's for
every minority mecha and for every famous mecha that already have good kit,
most do deserve MG treatment.

> The HG kits make sense because Bandai has to pay attention to kids too.
> The loyal MG and PG customers don't come out of nowhere, they were once
> kids who could not have afforded much more than 300 Yens. If Bandai fail

They do need low cost, great detail, easy to paint kits for kids. There's no
doubt about it.

> to cultivate the preteens and teens of today into building kits, they will
> be out of MG (or Devine Grade or Whatever Grade)customers in another 20
> yrs. But as I said, making Turn-A hard to paint is not a smart move.

the pro pictures, I or someone else posted, go beyond how the Turn A looks in
the show. So, basically, Turn A is a lot like other 1/144 kits. I'll post
links to pictures, If I need too.

> A quick poll: who's been smarter at merchandizing, George Lucas vs.
> Sunrise/Bandai? It seems like George made enough money to cover the
> production cost (US$140M?) from the toys, books, CD even before the movie
> opened. George gave the the fans what they ask for: action figures,
> action toys, computer games, stickers, lunch box, coloring books, picture
> story book, but only 3 lousy kits (because no one builds models anyway).
> From a pure profit point of view, how do you rate the marketing and
> merchandizing effort of Sunrise/Bandai for this anniversary year?

But, you are comparing two different cultures. From what I've read, a lot of
Japanese people are die hard modellers. Where in america, model kits aren't
too popular. In america model kits and toys are two different areas. Most
kids in america want action figures, more then model kits. You can't compare
George Lucas to Bandai Japan. American and Japan have different cultures.I
read somewhere that Japanese use nudity for jokes sometimes, whereas nudity
is a no, no for people under 18 in the US. Anime deals with themes that
Hollywood wouldn't dare touch. Our cultures are different, and so are our
tastes and expections of what is and isn't suitable for the public.

Aaron