Mark Nguyen (mnguyen@hotmail.com)
Wed, 19 May 1999 02:17:09 PDT

>Hmm... The Gundam Fanatics, waiting in line for 30 days for what is (here
>in US) an unproven franchise. We'd be in line in Westwood (I believe the
>Star Wars line is lined up around the block now!! Sick Bastards), with
>sleeping bags, portable potties, showers, freezed dried food, and
>unfinished
>model kits, and basically showing the world that Gundam is just as big as,
>IF NOT BIGGER, than STARWARS... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

[Okay, this is WOT, but I gotta slap someone in the face with this movie,
and you all have been elected :P]

Well, I *just* got back from "That Movie". And I can say that I enjoyed it,
though it lacked any real dramatic punch, in my opinion. Eye candy at its
best, I must admit. Oh well... What it *really* accomplished was to set up
the remaining two movies. In that respect, I liked it. Curse the fact taht
I'll have to wait six years to get a full opinion on this movie. For now,
I'll be happy to proclaim it "A Star Wars Movie".

While I'm ranting about it, my buddy scored a pair of "12:01's" on Tuesday
afternoon; a little surprising, augmented when we talked to the guys sitting
behind us who revealed they got their tickets when they got there. I went to
one of the city's "lesser" theatres, which probably explains that. Anyway,
we got fourthrow-centre seats, much to the dismay of many people who'd been
waiting there since lunch (or earlier).

I was planning to avoid the movie until the following weekend (I ain't much
of a SW fan), but when I heard about the 12:01's I jumped at it.
Unfortunately, this meant that I was in a huge crowd of SW fanatics, and I
don't mean the civil kind. Thus, I spent the movie sitting next to a couple
of costumers: Darth BO and Odor Fett. They'd been there *all day* in hot,
poorly-ventilated outfits. Ugh, that detracted me more than a little.

Good points? The movie had TRANSFORMING MECHA in it, man! GIANT ROBOTS! They
looked awesome, though they seemed to come from a Macross vein. If they can
do these fighter/walker things this well, then Gundam CGI won't be far
behind. Huzzah, we have hope for Gundam live action stuff done *well*!

There, I've vented. I return you to your ranting about much better series.
:)

Mark-II