James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Sun, 16 May 1999 22:50:02 -0700

> Yeah, I was just reading Mark's synopsis of the 1YW Zeon mecha. The Zaku
>is semi-realistic, being based on the Zaku-I which was designed before the
>war. But during the war it gets pretty damn wacky! There's even a MS
>that's "Conceived" in August, and has production units being produced in
>September! Damn that's fast!
> As a point of reference, I believe the fastest ANY military vehicle has
>gone from chalkboard to design is about 150-days... and that's just for
>the _design_ to say nothing of actually producing the vehicle itself. (And
>consider also that in this case things like the engine and other
>components were copied/borrowed from other aircraft). The machine, in
>question, is the venerable and famed P-51 of WWII!
> Since that time, in spite of all this CAD/CAM stuff, the time it takes a
>machine to go from design to production has done nothing if not gotten
>longer by a factor of 10! Back in WWII, new planes were coming out
>'yearly'. Now-a-days, we're lucky if we get one new fighter every 10
>years. Kinda ironic, considering as time goes on, the legnth of wars tends
>to get shorter and shorter.
>
> If these trends continued through UC, we'd have the Zeons develop the
>Zaku in, say, 0070... and the Feds not develop the GM until probably after
>the war. Sayanora to all the other dozens of specialized MS!

Actually the Germans in WWII got the Heinkel He162 out the door faster. The
specification was sent out Sept 8, 1944. The drawings were completed Oct
30th. The first flight was Dec. 6th and the first deliveries were in
January 1945. All the while being bombed continually by the allies.

>> Hey Probe, are you at Raytheon? My brother just graduated and has accepted
>> a job there.
>
> Raytheon in Tucson? Excellent, I've got scads of buddies working down
>there right now! Is he in the missile-division? How's he like it?
>
> -Probe

Yes in Tuscon! He hasn't started work yet, (next month I think). He's
looking for a house at present. I think they are going to put him on
infrared seeker heads or something.

-James