Kota Fujimura (fujimura@andrew.cmu.edu)
Sun, 16 May 1999 02:29:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Djallel Zouita wrote:

> > Well, you could never tell in the animation, but all the OZ MS are
> > equipped with very good ejection system, so the survival rate of the pilot
> > is actually in 80% range, I believe.
>
> Yeah, but we don't see any ejection pods or whatever that much in the
> series (I've only seen up to 20, 26-30 and Endless Waltz).

Yes, like I said, you could never tell in the animation. As far as I
know, only place this was mentioned was EW novelization, and you might be
able to guess from EW, but you gotta listen really really carefully.

> And I can't
> figure how victims of Wufei's bombing for example could survive.

That's quite true.

> > > In Victory, Usso is what, *13*?! And a
> > > killer? Hmph.
> >
> > ....And he spend about 1/4 of the series trying to cope with it.
>
> Yeah, I'm sorry for the analogy but Usso remembered me more or less of
> Ender Wiggin (that's the closest one I could think of).

Personally, I think that's pretty good analogy.

> And I think
> that's what putting children in such situations should be about, not
> making them cold killing machines but rather see how they try to cope
> with it, how they're affected (I know you hate him, but Al is in a way
> the most striking example).

Oh, I know. I hate him because the writer did very good job portraying Al
as an ordinary little kid, which I hate.

> > But one of the things people are overlooking is the war is subtraction.
> > If you don't kill your enemy, he/she will kill you, or someone who's close
> > to you gets hurt/killed. I believe this is how many of the teen pilots in
> > UC got over the fact that they are mass murderers. If you are still not
> > convinced, well, what can I say?
>
> Mmm, basically that's what of most UC stuff boils down to: the cheapness
> of human life, particularly when children are concerned, just take Katsu
> for instance: no matter how you hate him, he's just a child when he gets
> killed in Grips conflict and that seems almost normal, actually, this is
> a poor example since everyone was almost relieved when he died. :-)
> But maybe it's not the characters who should be shocked by that
> behavior, but just us, the audience and that would be an argument in
> favor of Gundam Wing, although I can't endorse it.

Can't agree more. It seems reading some of the replies posted, looks
like I misread some people's reaction.

> > (unless, it was portrayed in extremely corny way, which Episode Zero is
> > somewhat guilty of)
>
> Are you speaking of V Gundam's Episode Zero? How did it depict the show?
> Is it available on any volume of the videos?

I was talking about GW's Episode Zero comic. Like Heero being orphan who
was raised by the former sniper who actually shot original Heero Yui (you
know, the greatest pacifist), Wufei's wife's story, etc. Only one that
was remotely interesting was story about how Quatre and Maganacs met.

Kota