Ray Au (msz-010@geocities.com)
Sat, 15 May 1999 02:26:34 -0400

> http://www.ne.jp/asahi/cyber/gundam/gc2/144ta.html
>
> Here's some good pics of the Turn A kit. You can tell he used a pen or
> something for the panel lines and paint here and there, but it looks
great,
> even with that pro paint job in those other pic's that where posted awhile
> ago. I am going to get this kit ASAP now.

    Aaron, you find the best links!
    I just went to my local shop today and guess what I got the last one
of... that's right, the Turn A! *evil laugh* For all the interested parties,
here's a quick review of the kit. Mind you I haven't had the chance to build
it yet so all this is pure eyeballing over the parts and instruction
booklet. When I get it built (should be in a couple of days) I'll post a
complete review. Anyway, here are the details:

    I'll stand by my earlier statement that this is a fine looking kit. It's
no Matrix I guess, but at least it isn't Starship Troopers. Though it's
supposed to be OYW height, the proportions are more like GW which makes for
a tall, lanky model. Don't know how it will look compared to my ReGZ yet.
The joint system is straight out of GX. There's nothing new here folks, same
o' stuff. There does not seem to be any "super" articulation, though it
ain't exactly stiff. If you've built the old 144 Wing or X kits, you'll
probably know what to expect. Two gimmicks stand out though. One you have
all probably seen is the split shoulder. Basically, the should block comes
in 2 pieces (that fit over the arm): front/top and back. The back part is
stiff and doesn't move at all. The front/top is on a little ball hinge and
you can rotate this as you move the arm. This, I think, is supposed to be
some cheap imitation of the Mk. II shoulder block, but personally, I think
it's stupid. This will be the first thing to go when I make custom mods.
    The second gimmick involves the body. Apparently, they got some EW 144
action going on here with a ball joint in the lower abdomen (red part). The
upper torso (blue part) can then sort of bend forward and back, and side to
side on this thing. Neat I guess... Oh and that missile silo everyone loves,
it's actually an optional torso part that you can swap in place of the
normal (closed) torso. Panels don't flip open in the chest (was that really
too much to hope for).
    The head comes in 4 pieces, top/front, back, crest, and face/moustache.
This I find particularly annoying. I have always thought that the moustache
is supposed to look like the V-fin (according to the close-up of the head in
Newtype). The model, however, has it looking like a boomerang from hell. I
wanted to fix this by reshaping it with a file, but with the face and
moustache as one piece it makes it much more inconvenient. *grumble* I
suppose I'd have to carefully cut the piece out, shape it, and then glue it
back onto the face.
    The panel lines come out really well on the kit. You can probably run a
Gundam marker or one of those Pigma pens over them and get good results. The
kit is modeled in off-white, blue, red, and dark gray. Needless to say, a
paint job, any paint job would be greatly appreciated.

    If you don't mind the Turn A, I would definitely recommend getting this
kit. Even if you don't much favor the Turn A, it's still not too bad of a
choice. It's a nice looking kit and that's that. I question some of the
design choices, but that's nit-picking. At 500 yen, you shouldn't pass this
one up.

Thanks for listening,
ray