Kota Fujimura (fujimura@andrew.cmu.edu)
Sat, 15 May 1999 01:36:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Mark Nguyen wrote:

> > Well that's the reason why it was aimed at the teen market...and, well,
> >teens do feel invulnerable at times...I guess Heero was a symbolic extreme.
> > As for the actual explanation..there have been hints in the manga side
> >stories about "intense training". I don't know how intense that was, but
> >for him to survive all that stuff he's gone through, he must have had cyber
> >augmentation or incredible internal body control like what some monks and
> >fakirs can do.
>
> Another point that I typically get uncomfy with is the issue of murder with
> Gundam pilots. Doesn't anyone get the jitters when you realize it's a *15
> year-old boy* wiping out dozens of men & mecha every episode? And *enjoying*
> it? And that's only in Gundam Wing.

Well, you could never tell in the animation, but all the OZ MS are
equipped with very good ejection system, so the survival rate of the pilot
is actually in 80% range, I believe.

> In Victory, Usso is what, *13*?! And a
> killer? Hmph.

....And he spend about 1/4 of the series trying to cope with it.

But one of the things people are overlooking is the war is subtraction.
If you don't kill your enemy, he/she will kill you, or someone who's close
to you gets hurt/killed. I believe this is how many of the teen pilots in
UC got over the fact that they are mass murderers. If you are still not
convinced, well, what can I say?

If you think the story about someone who was forced to be mass murderer at
the age of 13, and think it's ridiculous than it's sad, there's not much I
can do about it.

(unless, it was portrayed in extremely corny way, which Episode Zero is
somewhat guilty of)

Kota