Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Sat, 15 May 1999 12:51:04 +0800

>It's basically to have someone for the (teen) audience to look up to besides
>the mecha, to idolize and (for the girls) fantasize about. By comparison,
>most "normal" Gundam protagonists are hardly a blip on the heart-o-meter.
>Comparing stories, I highly doubt Jude, Camille, Usso or Amuro are on too
>many 10-ten-sexiest-pilot-alive lists...

        Yah, but I hafta admit, those guys have a helluvalot more "official" (as
opposed to fanfic) personality than the gboys. Quattre was the most
interesting, but that was because he seems to be a throwback character.

>Another point that I typically get uncomfy with is the issue of murder with
>Gundam pilots. Doesn't anyone get the jitters when you realize it's a *15
>year-old boy* wiping out dozens of men & mecha every episode? And *enjoying*
>it? And that's only in Gundam Wing. In Victory, Usso is what, *13*?! And a
>killer? Hmph.
>Mark-II

        Chalk it up to anime stereotyping. ON the other hand, here in my country,
there are Communist rebels who are as young as 15, and they do carry
AK-47's. I've heard of even younger, and they throw pillbox (homemade)
grenades at crowds.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter