Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Sat, 15 May 1999 10:39:44 +0800

>Exactly. The "Critics" have been taking a pounding of late because it's
>being to look
>more and more like they have no idea of what they are watching. Movies
>that they
>say are going to be bombs are blockbusters, while movies that they rave
>about are
>only in the theaters for a week. I only have to point to Titanic for you.
>Most of the
>critics said that Titanic was going to die in the theaters because it was
>so late coming
>out. I don't have to tell you how well it did. Like you said, they are
>suffering from
>inflated egos, and it is really starting to show. Besides, how many of
>you *really*
>pay attention to what the critics have to say about a movie anyway?
>Linwood Foster, The_Sentinel@Gundam.Com

        That's because a lot of critics watch the movies in private theaters.
They should watcyh it with the whole audience in a normal one...that way,
they can get a feel for how the crowds reacts...they can save their
nitpicking of a mivie until they've gotten through it AGAIN at
home...admittedly, any critic who watches a movie only once is not a good
critic....
        It is worthwhile to actually read a good critic in two instances:
        A) before the movie, he can prep you for what the initial reaction has
been and etcetera...that way, you have a better, more realistic expectation
of a film, specially when it's been hyped up. Of course, there is an art
to reading critical articles as well, and that is to take it with a big
grain of salt.
        B) After the movie, so you can see how your views and his coincide or
not....

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter