Chris Beilby (cbeilby@earthlink.net)
Fri, 14 May 1999 09:38:32 -0700

MS06ZAK@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/14/99 2:45:08 AM Central Daylight Time, gundam@loop.com
> writes:
>
> <<
> A lot of people I know have already changed their plan of seeing Star Wars
> on opening day, upon hearing the negative reviews. I was very surprised
> when I went to buy tickets on Wednesday, because there was NO LINE when I
> expected the first week to be sold out in an hour! Well, I guess I'll go
> in with the Godzilla mindset... upon bad word of mouth I went expecting the
> worst and actually enjoyed the movie for what it was. :)
>
> Eddie >>
> that is what a lot of people who have seen the screening said. If you go in
> there with low expectations you willbe blown away. To be honest I think the
> real complaint is that the movie is aimed more at kids what with Jar Jar and
> all and everyone wants a hardore dark movie like Empire. Nevertheless there
> have been a lot of very positive reviews. The real issue is to not go in
> there with these ridiculous over the top expectations of what you think the
> movie should be and just experience it for yourself.

The thing is that people put too much stock in what the cri-Ticks (so named
because they are nothing more than blood sucking insects) say. There's an old
proverb in the theater. Those who can, act, those who can't become techs.
Those who have no clue become critics.

The fact is that when I go into a movie, I never pay any attention to what the
critics say. For Example, Star Trek Insurrection. Everyone roundly panned the
film (even a few on this mailing list) However, I loved it. Likewise, I am
going to go to Phantom Menace with an open mind...

I guess that what I'm saying is that you go into something with an open mind,
and you'll be in better shape. Never forget that all a critic is doing is
telling you their own opinion. They have a inflated ego while doing this
because they are being published/brodcast. The fact of the matter is, none of
htem are truly what would be called experte...