Carmen J. Bernardo (Yujon3D@concentric.net)
Fri, 14 May 1999 10:11:17 -0400

James Boren wrote:

> >At 03:48 5/13/1999 -0700, you wrote:
> >>Before the Duchy there was the Republic of Zeon. What was it like? A
> >>freedom loving Democracy? Was Zeon Zum Daikun an elected leader? It seems
> >>to me it is a little like the Russian revolution. First you have Lenin,
> >>(the Charismatic Zeon Diakun). He shakes things up; makes the revolution
> >>happen. Then Stalin (Degin Zabi) takes over and thinks really go bad.
> >
> >That's perhaps not so bad a comparison. Early translations (by Marg
> >Baskin) referred to Zeon Zum Daikun's breakaway colony as the People's
> >Space Republic and gave his title as Chairman. This became the
> >Principality of Zeon under Arch Duke Degin Sod Zavi.
> >
> >If I were to characterize the earlier Colony Republic, as it's now being
> >called, I'd say that it was more like one of the religious enclaves of
> >Mennonites or Amish here in America -- or possibly the state of Utah when
> >it was pretty much the Promised Land of the Church of Jesus Christ of
> >Latter Day Saints (better know by the name of the Biblical addendum, the
> >Book of Mormon). You have a charismatic leader preaching a new way of life
> >that literally turns its back on the Earth, taking up residence on the far
> >side of the Moon, from whence the Big Blue Marble is never visible. Like
> >the early Massachusetts colony here in the United States, it's a democratic
> >commonwealth -- all resources go into the state run store, following the
> >classic formula: "from each according to his ability, to each according to
> >his need." A true communism, built around a true commune.
> >
> >Hippies In Space....
> >
> Thanks for the insight. So the mindset of side 3 was more than just
> egotisical superiority over the Earthnoids, but it had an almost religious
> bent to it. The cult of Zeon Daikun, hmm. Was newtype theory a part of his
> philosophy? It sounds like a creepy place, side 3, no wonder the other
> sides didn't join in.

  Looking at this thread, I've often wondered just how the other colonies felt
about the Zeons. In many ways, the reaction might not've been unlike the way
most modern nations felt about Soviet Russia during the Cold War, if this
analogy reads correctly. However, I'd think of Zeon Daikun as Karl Marx in
this case, espousing the philosophy of the Newtype and spacenoid independence,
and the Zavis fill out the role of the militarist Soviets, complete with the
cult of personality which diefied Zeon as a visionary.

  Of course, when the Zabis began their killing rampage, the other colonies had
to have been quaking in their boots. "Trapped between those mean old Feddies
and these loonies from Zeon, oh my!"

Carmen (Yujon3D) -- The Yujon3D Websites at Concentric Network:
                    http://www.concentric.net/~Yujon3d/index.shtml
                    fan-art, fan-fiction, and the Random Muttering