Kota Fujimura (fujimura@andrew.cmu.edu)
Thu, 13 May 1999 02:17:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Prabal Nandy wrote:

> "To see how good it is" or "To tolerate it"?

I assume how revolutionary it is, in a positive sense.

> > Also, he's been thinking about this series for 3 years now, so as far as
> > the story is concerned, it better be good.
>
> Hrrrmmm... About the time W-Gundam was coming out, eh? Hrm... still, it
> doesn't sound particular original... yet. Maybe there's some big twists
> coming up?

Let's hope so.

> > > godfather of the Japanese obsession with modern mecha...
> > I assume he felt like his world got turned upside down, but that's my
>
> Well, I mean, people have been thinking about just this sort of thing
> for generations... I mean, the idea of Robots helping humans has been
> around for almost a hundred years! Tomino is just gonna hafta deal with
> the mechanized destiny of mankind!

Maybe he wasn't expecting to see it in his lifetime?

> > > I heard there were other flats, but I thought they were part of the
> > > invasion forces.... are you saying that there were other groups of
> > > kids/spies dropped off in Flats all over the Earth? (that makes sense if
> > And the guy who appears in episode 9 is not a kid. He's adult.
>
> And he was dropped off like the Kids years and years ago as an observer
> or something as well? What was he doing on Earth then? Spying or other
> stuff?

It's only two years. I'm not sure if his mission was same as Rolan's.
This episode will air at the end of this month, I believe.

> > > I mean, does that mean that they can communicate with the moon people
> > > 'internally' or does it just mean that the lunarians can _track_ them
> > The comment was actually more like the compliment for the job well done,
> > and also informed Rolan that his transmitter is starting to dissapear. It
>
> So that means after a time they won't be able to keep tabs on him
> anymore, eh?

That seems to be it.

> > seems that this transmitter is some sort of life-sign tracker.
> > Some fans are speculating nanomachine.
>
> It makes some sense, though I don't see why it shouldn't be permanent.
> Why aren't the lunarians taking their spy-kids back into custody for
> extensive debriefing, etc? I mean, if anyone sees the kids reporting to
> the Lunarians, etc... they're pretty much doomed, right?

Some fans are speculating maybe Rolan is not taken back because freedom is
the reward for the mission. Maybe living condition is so crappy, living
on Earth two years in advance is a worthy risk?

> > One of the speculation was kinda interesting. Maybe the purpose of the
> > Flat was re-entry AND larger transmitter. The transmitter inside all the
> > agents' body will send signal to Flat, which amplify the signal to the
> > moon... But it is a pure speculation though.
>
> No, actually, I was thinking just that sort of thing!
> Isn't there a scene where Roland uncovers the head of the Flat and
> stands on it and howls at the moon "Come to Earth soon!" or something like
> that? It would make some sense... A matter of fact, the transmitters may
> serve only to identify the kids _to_the_mecha_ so it allows them to access
> it. I wonder if this is why Roland can pilot the Turn-A! (How does he get
> in it BTW?)

That's an interesting theory. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

> > > Hmm... I wonder if that's even possible.
> > It seems by episode 8, they seemed to establish some sort of peace, and
> > some lands were given to Moon Race, since Rolan and Turn-A Gundam is sent
> > out to peace keeping mission to stop the conflict between Moon Race and
> > locals, according to the Sunrise's website.
>
> Hum! So do the Moonies know who Roland is (I.e., the Turn-A pilot)? HAve
> the Lunar civilians begun arriving?

It seems civilians are starting to get to Earth by episode 8.

> Are they bringing lots of technology?

No clue.

> So who's actually in charge of Roland? I mean, he's not a free agent is
> he?

I think he's officially taking orders from Gwen.

> Are the militia being portrayed as 'bad dudes' BTW? What about Diana
> Counter? Does the Queen explain the actions of the moon people at all?

Hm, I need to see the actual episodes to answer those questions.

> Excellent! Enjoy the fab-u-lous models in Japan!

Talking about models, I found out what's so great about Turn-A model's
posability. It seems there's amazing amount of flexibility on the knee of
the model. Also, I heard few compliments about waist joint and shoulders.
But from the pictures I've seen, I can't quite figure out what's so
special about the shoulder though... I guess I'm going to have to buy the
model, and see it for myself.

Kota