Kota Fujimura (fujimura@andrew.cmu.edu)
Wed, 12 May 1999 23:36:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Prabal Nandy wrote:

> > > T'ain't no harm in that! And don't tell me the idea of a Gundam behaving
> > > like Mazinger Z doesn't make you chuckle...!
> > It could have happened too. In recent radio interview, Tomino did mention
> > he thought about using moustasche as a boomerang, but decided against it.
>
> Hee hee hee! That would have been hilarious... It does make me wonder,
> now that we know about the Sumo, if the Moustache idea was entirely a
> product of Tomino and not Syd...

It's Syd. When Tomino first saw the design, it surprised the $hit out
of him. In the same interview, he said it took 3 months for the entire
staff to see how good it is.

Also, he's been thinking about this series for 3 years now, so as far as
the story is concerned, it better be good.

> > He made an interesting comment about Honda's P2 robot. He said, when he
> > saw it, he saw hell.
>
> I _really_ want to know what he meant by that. I mean, he is the
> godfather of the Japanese obsession with modern mecha...

I assume he felt like his world got turned upside down, but that's my
speculation.

> > > Looks like the Lunarians dropped off three kids a few years before the
> > > show starts, in a Flat Mobile Suit.
> > There were multiple Flats, actually. And not all of them were pilotted by
> > teenage kids. You starts to see few other Flat pilots in episodes 8 and
>
> I heard there were other flats, but I thought they were part of the
> invasion forces.... are you saying that there were other groups of
> kids/spies dropped off in Flats all over the Earth? (that makes sense if
> it's true).

And the guy who appears in episode 9 is not a kid. He's adult.

> > > provision for equipping these kids with proper gear or communications
> > Actually they did. In last week's episode, it was revealed that before
> > the mission, they were forced to swallow bio degradable sensors. One of
> > the Moon Race officer commented to Rolan about his sensor is starting to
> > disappear.
>
> EEEEEWWWWW! They have sensors tied to their guts?
> I mean, does that mean that they can communicate with the moon people
> 'internally' or does it just mean that the lunarians can _track_ them
> remotely? Wierd, but cool.
> Why would the sensors be bio-degradable? That seems a little 'counter
> productive'!

The comment was actually more like the compliment for the job well done,
and also informed Rolan that his transmitter is starting to dissapear. It
seems that this transmitter is some sort of life-sign tracker.
Some fans are speculating nanomachine.

One of the speculation was kinda interesting. Maybe the purpose of the
Flat was re-entry AND larger transmitter. The transmitter inside all the
agents' body will send signal to Flat, which amplify the signal to the
moon... But it is a pure speculation though.

> > Right now rolan's playing both sides. His loyalty is to Diana, but he
> > cares about Heims and Gwen too. His wish is peaceful coexistance between
> > Moon Race and locals.
>
> Hmm... I wonder if that's even possible.

It seems by episode 8, they seemed to establish some sort of peace, and
some lands were given to Moon Race, since Rolan and Turn-A Gundam is sent
out to peace keeping mission to stop the conflict between Moon Race and
locals, according to the Sunrise's website.

> > Anyway, I'll be looking forward to watching the show in June, when I go
> > back to Japan for real. Unfortunately, I'll probably sign off from the
> > list around same time though.
>
> Ah, too bad! We'll miss you! Will you rejoin us soon?

Hopefully by the middle of July, but it may take longer. But I'll be
back.

Kota