Mark Kuettner (mkuett@hotmail.com)
Mon, 10 May 1999 09:07:37 PDT

> > Would they be as interesting if they were by-the-book pilots? Realistic,
> > yes, but it would be boring. You need a contrast, especially with Kou
>and
> > Kieth's attitude. Monsha was the perfect
> > contrast to Kou, in some ways like Han Solo to Luke.
>
> See, no... this is where I disagree...
> I would have liked it if Monsha _was_ like Han, i.e., more experienced,
>world-weary, grizzled, and somewhat intolerant of the 'young pup'.

Monsha WAS experienced, he just wanted everyone to know it! Remember
how Leia got so pissed with Han's arrogance while Luke played
innocent? It was much like the Monsha-Nina-Kou thing, except Monsha
and Kou never established the underlying relationship that Luke and
Han did.

>Instead, Monsha comes off more like a Frat-boy, going off to duel in the
>middle of a war, flying his mecha while being drunk, cowardly ordering
>Kou into battle, sabotaging government equipment and nearly destroying the
>Albion's only core-fighter in the middle of a combat operation... how the
>HELL are we supposed to believe that this kind of man not only made it
>through the military, but is an Ace GM pilot?

That's part of the entertainment! The fact Monsha survived is incredible,
but it also shows there was more to Monsha than getting
drunk and taking pictures up Nina's skirt.

On top of that, given their
>background, there is a remarkable lack of chemistry between the Immortal
>4th Platoon-mates.... other than Monsha, the rest of them seem terribly
>blase. How come they never get together with Burning for beer and
>carousing? In short, they behave _nothing_ like any of the military pilots
>I've ever known... hell, they don't even behave like any of the army
>groundpounders I've ever known... they act more like high-school students.

Were talking Gundam here, Probe. Char handed one of the most devasting
Mobile armors ever built over to a spoiled little girl with hardly
any experience...does this sound like ANY military stratedgy you have
ever known?Or just the whole "Lets hand over this prototype MS to
a kid with potential"-idea in general.
Even throwing the whole "Newtypes are a special case" idea out the
window, Kou pretty much got the same treatment as one; hardly
realistic. Letting him fly the GP01Fb after the $@*& he pulled? There
was a lot more stretching of realism than just Monsha, but it didnt
hinder the enjoyment of the story...

> Compare and contrast this with how the 0083 writers made all the Zeon
>pilots uniformly proffessional, dignified, hyper-honorable, etc...
>(admittedly alot of them probably WOULD be fanatics.... or would they?)
>and you've got a situation where it seems that the writers deliberately
>are trying to make the Feds look stupid.
>
> -Probe

Nah...just because the Zeons were serious all the time doesnt make
the Feds look stupid. It made the Zeons look like typical one-dimensional
bad guys, but nothing more.