Carmen J. Bernardo (Yujon3D@concentric.net)
Sun, 09 May 1999 08:53:25 -0400

Prabal Nandy wrote:

> > I agree. Most people like Gundam becase of the Mobile Suits, the good stroy,
> > music, etc., but not for the Battleships. Sometimes, people forget, that no
> > matter how much a battleship, could be better then a Mobile Suit, Gundam is a
> > mecha show, not a battleship show. Sarcasm on: Go watch batteship movies, if
>
> The fact of the matter is, of course, that there are a TON of "Space
> Battleship" Anime out there, from Yamato, to Tyler, to Galactic Heroes,
> etc etc... And there are also a ton of "Space Battleship With Mecha"
> shows, like Gundam, Gunbuster, Macross, Nadesico, etc etc... So there's
> little point in trying to 'rewrite' gundam into another genre which is
> already well-filled.
>
> I mean, we can easily say: "Tomino's Vision of the Newtype Future will
> naturally lead to a future destiny where three powerful 14-year old
> NewType girls with mystical powers will bust through space and time to
> save the universe: Gundam Mystical Mobile Suit Rayearth!" but what would
> the point of that be?

  No, there would be no point. Hence, Japan's anime market is
loaded with tons of Giant Robot shows (note: there are still far
more GR shows than there are shows about Space Battleships).
For the most part, it's all "Been there, done that" today. We
can enjoy it all the same.

Carmen (Yujon3D) -- The Yujon3D Websites at Concentric Network:
                    http://www.concentric.net/~Yujon3d/index.shtml
                    fan-art, fan-fiction, and the Random Muttering