Chris Beilby (cbeilby@earthlink.net)
Sat, 08 May 1999 09:37:53 -0700

James Boren wrote:

> > Unlike the beam weapons discussed above (beam rifles and Mega Particle cannons), the beam saber doesn't use mega particles. Instead, it emits high energy Minovski particles to form a blade shaped I-field, and then fills this I-field shell with superheated plasma to produce a lethally effective cutting blade. The Minovski particles are stored by E-cap in the beam saber's hilt, which is recharged by the mobile suit's reactor when the saber is returned to its socket. Thus, once activated, beam sabers don't rely on the mobile suit's reactor and can be thrown or discarded as decoys (as demonstrated in Gundam 0083).
> >

> So, a Zaku could grab the beam saber and use it against the hapless GM?
> Has this ever happened?

This was covered in a thread about a month or so back, which can be seen in the archive

> I thought the Heat hawk was just a superheated alloy for its blade. Is it the same with the Dom's... sword (I forgot what its called)?

Yes, the Zaku's Heat Hawk and the Dom's Heat Rod use superheated metal alloy. The information I quoted never said that they were beam blade weapons. The only Beam Saber type weapons used in the 1YW were the beam sabers used by the Gundam, GM, Gelgoog, and Kampher. The article quoted only said that axe shapes could also be projected, among others, such as the Beam Shields in the second Universal Century, as well as the Crossbones Vanguard beam banner.

> BTW- How do they explain the lightsaber in star wars? (Or do they even bother)

I've never seen them explained.