Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Fri, 7 May 1999 12:48:44 -0700 (MST)

> As far as I know, the Feds keep on cranking out Balls until the end of the
> war. Hell, they fielded far more Balls in the Battle of Solomon than GMs.
> It has a non-trivia advantage over GM, price. It is really cheap to make

  And what's more important, the civilian manufacturing lines for building
"Workpods" was already in place, so it was easy for the Feds to simply add
weapons to an existing vehicle design.

> Ball, which is based on OLD and mature technology. GM in contrast is a high
> performance frontline vehicle based on a (from Fed's standpoint) 4 years old
> technology, using new fusion drive and using relatively untested beam spray

   Right, but there's also the factor that the Feds simply had alot of
balls by the end of the war (after all, they were whooping Jion!) and
probably had a ton of experienced Ball-Pilots as opposed to the more-elite
GM corps.

> I supposed when the war ended, and the Feds generals started to review the
> effectiveness of the weapons, they scratch out Balls. The Balls were ok as

  "The Fed generals scratched their Balls?" (Laughs)

> a stop gap measure until the GM can be mass produce. But once the GM
> production is in full steam mode, the Ball ceases to make sense. And with
> the projected MS development in the horizon, the Ball becomes another 1 war
> technology.

  Yeah, the ball was never anything more than a stopgap weapon while the
Feds waited for the GM. The only reason it lasted through 0083 (and hence,
probably here and there in ZG) is because it was cheap and easy to
maintain and there were TONS of them floating around.

  But the fact of the matter is, the Ball is based on a civilian chassis,
and would never be a real front-line weapon.

                                                                -Probe